Intermittent Screen Flicker - Panasonic Plasma with Sony Receiver

alexmunro

Novice Member
I'm having a screen flicker issue with a Panasonic Plasma TV hooked up to a Sony receiver. The issue is intermittent but common. The flickering is a white flash that lasts for a fraction of a second and repeats every 3 or 4 seconds. It happens both from cable and streaming. I have replaced the receiver so that is not the issue. The HDMI cabling is long and tortuous so before I go and start that monster job I'd like to know if there is a possible other culprit. Thanks. The TV is 8 years old and I have not had any issue until recently.

mikej

If you want to troubleshoot this properly, then the first thing you need to do is check that the TV's firmware is up-to-date (with the last one released for it) and then do a factory reset. Some older Panasonic plasmas actually received a formware update out of the blue, recently.

In order to rule out cables or external equipment as the cause, you'll need to disconnect everything to start with - do you have an inbuilt tuner / terrestrial signal or TV app that you can watch for a while ?

If the problem doesn't occur and you can start to rule out the TV itself as the cause, then re-introduce your external devices to your system slowly, one at a time until you find the cause. This might take a few days or even weeks depending on the frequency of the problem so you might have to be patient.

Bear in mind that if the plasma is 8 years old, then it could well be coming to the end of it's lifespan. It's not uncommon for TV components to fail at that age. My Panasonic plasma failed at 7.5 years old, although many do last longer.

alexmunro

Novice Member
If you want to troubleshoot this properly, then the first thing you need to do is check that the TV's firmware is up-to-date (with the last one released for it) and then do a factory reset. Some older Panasonic plasmas actually received a formware update out of the blue, recently.

In order to rule out cables or external equipment as the cause, you'll need to disconnect everything to start with - do you have an inbuilt tuner / terrestrial signal or TV app that you can watch for a while ?

If the problem doesn't occur and you can start to rule out the TV itself as the cause, then re-introduce your external devices to your system slowly, one at a time until you find the cause. This might take a few days or even weeks depending on the frequency of the problem so you might have to be patient.

Bear in mind that if the plasma is 8 years old, then it could well be coming to the end of it's lifespan. It's not uncommon for TV components to fail at that age. My Panasonic plasma failed at 7.5 years old, although many do last longer.
Thanks. I'll give that all a try.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom