Intermittent problem with new build

Such

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have built a new pc for our home office:
Silverstone MINI FT03 Case, AMD A10 6700 GPU, 8GB Ram, Gigabyte F2A88XN wifi MB, 60GB SSD
1TB HDD, Lg slim optical, Win 7 64bit, Silverstone SFX 300w PSU, Corsair H55 Cooler.
Using graphics on GPU.

On 3 occasions now, in use, the monitor goes to sleep, whilst the PC is still on. The power and reset buttons are unresponsive, and the only way to shut down is via the switch on the PSU. The power and reset button function as intended otherwise.

I did notice just now when it did this again, that the optical plug light was off, which suggest to me that the IO is not powered, which would explain why the monitor went to sleep.

I have had great difficulty updating the FW on the MB to the latest, as the procedure advised by GB did not work and they suggested sending the board back to them to do

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Thanks
PAUL

Did you install USB3 drivers by any chance ?

As Win7 does not support USB3, drivers supplied by chip makers can have a nasty habit of breaking sleep functions in Win7.

not sure, just the drivers that came with the MB, so maybe.
would this cause the power to shut off from the IO' connections whilst still keeping power to the pc?

Have finally managed to update bios so will see if this continues and gigabyte suggested the update may cure this

Sleep is tied to USB activity with waking the PC at least on some systems, depends on the configuration.

What I would suggest is go into the bios and load the default settings, then go into peripherals and look for XHCI then disable it, this should in theory turn off USB3 support at the bios level, either the ports will be disabled or will revert to USB2 functionality or it may not work at all.

Dont change any of the restored defaults under power management in the bios.

Thanks, so far i have updated the bios and all seems well - for now

i will try that if the issue still occurs

all the best

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom