Intermittent problem with centre speaker

ChreesH

Novice Member
Hello, I have an intermittent problem with my centre speaker. I have a Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 set of speakers (with sub) that I’ve had for a number of years. My AV receiver is a Yamaha RX-V679.

Around a year ago, the centre speaker suddenly started sounding very muffled. I checked the wiring and couldn’t spot anything obviously wrong. The other four speakers in the set are identical to the centre speaker (just with a different mount) so I tried using one of the rear speakers instead of the centre one. This immediately cured the problem and led me to believe the centre speaker was failing.

However, after a couple of days using things like this and before ordering a replacement, I decided to check the centre speaker again and swapped it back in. It was then working perfectly. I was bemused but thought perhaps there had been some corrosion on the wires or speaker terminals and my playing around had cleaned them up.

A few weeks ago, the same problem started happening. I swapped in a rear speaker temporarily (which again fixed the problem) and then tried cutting the end off the wires and re-stripping them. After doing this, the centre speaker was fine again for a weeks or so, but then went muffled again.

I could switch between the centre and rear speaker quickly just by holding the wires on the contacts and consistently the centre was muffled and the rear speaker fine. I decided that I did need to replace the centre one and left the rear one in place as the centre.

However, this evening (the replacement centre hasn’t been delivered yet), the rear speaker suddenly went muffled in exactly the same way. I now had two bad speakers. I swapped in the other rear and that was fine, but having done that, swapping back to the original rear was also fine again. The centre speaker is still muffled.

I’m at a loss to work out what’s going on - is it my receiver that is the problem rather than the speakers?

Any help would be greatly received.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Sounds like the issue is with the Yamaha avr to me.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hello, I have an intermittent problem with my centre speaker. I have a Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 set of speakers (with sub) that I’ve had for a number of years. My AV receiver is a Yamaha RX-V679.

Around a year ago, the centre speaker suddenly started sounding very muffled. I checked the wiring and couldn’t spot anything obviously wrong. The other four speakers in the set are identical to the centre speaker (just with a different mount) so I tried using one of the rear speakers instead of the centre one. This immediately cured the problem and led me to believe the centre speaker was failing.

However, after a couple of days using things like this and before ordering a replacement, I decided to check the centre speaker again and swapped it back in. It was then working perfectly. I was bemused but thought perhaps there had been some corrosion on the wires or speaker terminals and my playing around had cleaned them up.

A few weeks ago, the same problem started happening. I swapped in a rear speaker temporarily (which again fixed the problem) and then tried cutting the end off the wires and re-stripping them. After doing this, the centre speaker was fine again for a weeks or so, but then went muffled again.

I could switch between the centre and rear speaker quickly just by holding the wires on the contacts and consistently the centre was muffled and the rear speaker fine. I decided that I did need to replace the centre one and left the rear one in place as the centre.

However, this evening (the replacement centre hasn’t been delivered yet), the rear speaker suddenly went muffled in exactly the same way. I now had two bad speakers. I swapped in the other rear and that was fine, but having done that, swapping back to the original rear was also fine again. The centre speaker is still muffled.

I’m at a loss to work out what’s going on - is it my receiver that is the problem rather than the speakers?

Any help would be greatly received.

Do you notice this if you listen in 5ch stereo mode? Or do you have some odd DSP mode for movie which you test with?

It is strange that it works ok for some time and then suddenly gets muffled. Like you would activate some feature / mode in the receiver.

Maybe to be safe side do a full factory reset for the receiver and then run YPAO again with hopefully some type of tripod/mic/camera stand.

Upvote 0

ChreesH

Novice Member
Thanks.
Do you notice this if you listen in 5ch stereo mode? Or do you have some odd DSP mode for movie which you test with?

It is strange that it works ok for some time and then suddenly gets muffled. Like you would activate some feature / mode in the receiver.
Generally I listen in Dolby PLx (Movie) or DTS Neo:6 Cinema modes (when not listening to music). It's very hard to tell if it happens in 5ch stereo mode (I'd probably have to disconnect the other speakers to isolate the sound coming from the centre). However, it very noticeably changed from fine to muffled last night in the middle of a program (both my wife and I noticed it independently) without either of us adjusting the volume or DSP mode (or anything else).

Maybe to be safe side do a full factory reset for the receiver and then run YPAO again with hopefully some type of tripod/mic/camera stand.
I did notice that new firmware was available, so updated that this morning, but it made no difference. I then tried playing around with some of the YPAO and other settings, seeing if I could tell the difference between different speakers connected to the centre channel while listening to the test tone, etc. At some point in the process, the original centre speaker started to sound ok again (although I've listened to the same dialogue so many times, I struggled to convince myself that it did).

It wouldn't surprise me if it goes wrong again later. I'll have to wait and see. If it does, I could try a factory reset, although I can't see how it could affect the behaviour I'm hearing.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom