Intermittent "Limited or No Connectivity"

kryten22uk

I have a Belkin G+ MIMO wireless router connected to my ADSL broadband. I have been using it with my XP laptop for 8 months, but occasionally (every fortnight say) when I log on to my laptop the system tray would tell me that the wireless has "Limited or No Connectivity". The connection to the router is "excellent", but there is no access to the internet. Disabling then re-enabling the adaptor does nothing, and the only fix is to turn the router off for 10secs (ensuring that my laptop is also off). Then when I power everything back, its all hunky dory again. It wasn’t happening too frequently, so although it was annoying it wasn’t critical, so I lived with it.

Now I have bought a new Vista laptop too, and the issue is happing on that laptop too. But now the problem is appearing every day, not just fortnightly. On the Vista machine it cant connect to internet and says "identifying" network when I hover over the wireless icon.

Seems like the whole issue is around the PC's not consistently gaining dynamic IP addresses.

So my queries are:
Anyone have suggestions or solutions as to the problem?
Am I missing something special I have to do when using two laptops off a wireless router?
Is it a router problem (I have until March on the warranty, and was planning on taking it back to PC World for an exchange)?

Is Belkin a very shoddy brand or is it a coincidence that their products seem to be causing a lot of problems on various forums etc?

Ta

shandyman

I have a Belkin G+ MIMO wireless router connected to my ADSL broadband. I have been using it with my XP laptop for 8 months, but occasionally (every fortnight say) when I log on to my laptop the system tray would tell me that the wireless has "Limited or No Connectivity". The connection to the router is "excellent", but there is no access to the internet. Disabling then re-enabling the adaptor does nothing, and the only fix is to turn the router off for 10secs (ensuring that my laptop is also off). Then when I power everything back, its all hunky dory again. It wasn’t happening too frequently, so although it was annoying it wasn’t critical, so I lived with it.

Now I have bought a new Vista laptop too, and the issue is happing on that laptop too. But now the problem is appearing every day, not just fortnightly. On the Vista machine it cant connect to internet and says "identifying" network when I hover over the wireless icon.

Seems like the whole issue is around the PC's not consistently gaining dynamic IP addresses.

So my queries are:
Anyone have suggestions or solutions as to the problem?
Am I missing something special I have to do when using two laptops off a wireless router?
Is it a router problem (I have until March on the warranty, and was planning on taking it back to PC World for an exchange)?

Is Belkin a very shoddy brand or is it a coincidence that their products seem to be causing a lot of problems on various forums etc?

Ta

Had same issue with my Belkin wireless router. In the end I replaced it with a Solwise HomePlug kit using a NetGear router. Everything OK now. The Belkin router seemed to be getting worse with time so didn't bother with the lifetime warranty nonsense.

kryten22uk

I checked online, but it says that there is no firmware update available. I cant believe they havent issued any! I think I'll just take it back to PCWorld, will they just let me turn up with it (without box) and say its bust?

kryten22uk

Well my chosen solution was to take the Belkin trash back to the shop. I took it in with a couple of wires and a manual, in a Sainsburys bag! They let me exchange for a nice new Netgear DG834N. All seems to be working fine with that one so far. :thumbsup:

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
I too have lost faith with the Belkin brand, I seem to remember a few years back they produced some good kit.

I purchased the Belkin G USB adapter which would loose connection randomly and never pair up with the network once the computer was started.

Belkin suggested to me that I should wait 'patiently' for them to release a driver that would work............ clowns

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom