Intermittent hdmi audio switching issue

Thedoctor22uk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a minor issue, which I'm finding quite irritating. Hopefully you geniuses can think of a solution!

I recently upgraded my TV and av receiver (samsung qe55q90t & yamaha htr2071).

Occasionally there seems to be an issue where the receiver doesn't put the sound through the surround speakers and the sound from the input(sky/ps4 for example)comes through the tv. This normally when first turned on.

I essentially have to turn the receiver off and on again to get it to come on. Which solves it. Its a minor inconvenience but grates me, no end!

I'm using arc. Everything is in the correct ports. Arc is turned on both the receiver and TV.

8 times out of 10 its fine. Is it a setting I perhaps have got wrong, or a hardware issue?

Appreciate any input!

Thanks in advance!

Are your SKY box and PS4 connected directly to the AV receiver via HDMI or are they connected to your TV? If connected to the AVR then the only way that you'd get the TV's speakers to portray what they are outputting is if you set the AV receiver's HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT setting to ON. THis should ordinarilly be left set to OFF.

If the receiver is however setting itself to the ARC audio setting on power up then this is caused by ARC's reliance upon HDMI CEC. There's nothing you'd be able to do to negate this behaviour without having to turn off HDMI Control and or ARC on the AV receiver. This bahaviour wouldn't cause the AV receiver to passthrough audio sourced via devices connected directly to it though. If the sources are connect to your TV and if ARC is engaged then this is what is happening and the AV receiver is automatically switching itself to the ARC source on power up due to the HDMI CEC signal from the TV. THere is aworkaround for this if you'f you've a Logitech Harmony remote?

It isn't a fault with the TV or your AV receiver and it is caused by an inherant flaw with the way in which HDMI ARC funtions in association with HDMI CEC (Control). ARC is unfortunately dependant upon HDMI CEC so you are stuck with the issue for as long as you wish to use ARC on your setup.

Upvote 0
Hi dante01 thanks for your quick and very detailed reply.

Yes all inputs are plugged into the receiver. The current setting allows sound for all the inputs through the tv when the amp is off (or not playing ball).

I feared something like that may be the issue. If I turned off arc or control, I presume I'd have to go back to optical connections?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Optical wouldn't exhibit the behaviour. The other option is to utilise a Logitech Harmony remote and add additional commands to activity start ups that counter the unwanted behaviour.

Upvote 0
It should also be said that you don't need to do as you've been doing in order to rectify the issue.. Once the receiver is powered up, simply select the source you wanted as opposed to putting the unit back into standy and rebooting it. It is simply a matter of setting the receiver to the correct source you wanted to use after the TV has automatically set the receiver to the TV ARC source.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom