Intermittent buzzing sounds from Mission LX-2 speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Nelli W, Apr 15, 2019 at 3:46 PM.

1. Nelli W

Nelli W
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all! I bought a new sound system back in October and quite early on (around 1 month in) I started noticing an irritating buzzing sound that comes from the speakers when listening to music or films / TV shows. I’ve been searching online for a while to try and find a solution but nothing has fixed it yet. I’m wondering if anyone here could offer a potential solution? Here are some details:

The equipment

• The speakers are Mission LX-2
    • The amp is Yamaha A-S201
    • We listen to music via a Logitech Bluetooth adaptor, while the TV is connected directly to the amp with a phono cable.

The sound problem

• It happens only when there is sound coming from the speakers.
    • It only comes from one of the speakers.
    • It doesn’t normally happen immediately when I put music on. It tends to be fine for 10 minutes or so, then it starts happening quietly with some sounds, then pretty much constantly.
    • It’s a crackly intermittent buzz which seems to stay the same volume regardless of the volume of the music.
    • When watching TV it seems to happen in particular when people are talking as opposed to with general ambient sounds.

Tests I’ve tried:

• The most common solution that I read about online was to do with cables touching / the power source. I tried separating out the cables and plugging the amp into a different power source, but it didn’t make a difference.
    • I was advised to swap the cables of the right hand speaker into the left hand outputs on the amp and vice versa to check if it was a problem with the amp. The buzz still came from the same speaker.
    • The cables had banana plugs on originally, which I removed and connected the cables directly into the speakers to see if the banana plugs were causing it. Still no difference.
    • I made sure the cables are screwed in tightly.

If anyone has any other ideas for how I could fix this, or whether it sounds like a fault with the speaker itself, any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,502
    Sounds mechanical and not electrical, could be a wire inside touching a brace inside the box or one of the drivers not screwed in properly.

If you have Spotify on your phone, if you search for "test tones" you can try playing discrete frequencies to see if you can excite the problem, if it happens at the same frequency and volume every time then it may be able to listen for where the sound is coming from.

However, as you only bought them in October they are still under warranty so just take them back to the shop and ask for a replacement pair. Do not try to open the speaker if it is under warranty as this will void it.

3. Nelli W

Nelli W
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks so much for replying. I just tried the tone tests on Spotify and the buzz happens between 60 and 250 Hz, but seems fine outside of that. Would you say that it’s definitely a problem with the speakers then? I went into the store I’d bought them from earlier today and the guys there tested them for about 2 minutes on another amp with one song but the buzz didn’t happen (which it normally doesn’t straight away anyway) so they said the problem must be with the amp. They suggested I swap the cables over when I get home to double check but the buzz still came from the same speaker which seemed to suggest that it’s the speaker, not the amp (according to their advice). But when I called them to tell them this, they were still adamant that it’s the amp! Very confusing.. I don’t understand how it could be the amp if the problem followed the same speaker when I swapped the cables over. But then again i’m by no means an expert so I don’t want to offend them by questioning their verdict but their attitude was very dismissive and made me wonder if they were really engaging with the problem properly.

4. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,502
    Easy way is to take your amp in as well and test the speaker in front of them with both amps using the test tones if you can.

If the noise moves with the speaker then I suspect it would be the speaker, if it swapped as you swapped speaker connection it would be the amp I.e. left/right channel issue. Do you have another set of speakers you can use to test out, this would be the last test I would do, if they are OK then I would suspect the speakers, if you get the buzz with then then it needs more investigation.

One thought, how are you mounting them, on dedicated stands, if so are all of the bolts/screws in the stands tight, if on a cabinet try putting a tea towel or three under the speaker to make sure it is not exciting something in the cabinet.

5. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Good ideas above. As a more desperate one, I’d disconnect the phono from the tv.

That’s unlikely to be causing such an odd issue, but earth problems are notorious ba#[email protected]#ds; it’s worth a shot.

You might also try switching round the cables (L/R) on the Logitech to see if the noise swaps speakers then. In which case it would indicate a problem with the
    Logitech, or its connection.

6. Nelli W

Nelli W
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you both for your input! I took them back to the store today to test them again with their amp and my music and was able to confirm that it is indeed a problem with the speaker. It’s now getting repaired under warranty.

It was really useful to feel a bit more confident that I knew what I was talking about based on the information you gave me, so thanks!