Intermittent black screen issue

jambomakaveli

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hoping for some help/advice from the knowledgable people here.

I have a Samsung KS7000 bought from John Lewis online a few years ago.

I have used a PS4 pro on it without issue for around 3 years.
I got a ps5 on launch day, and have pretty much suffered with the sound dropping out for a second, then coming back, and also the screen going black for a few seconds then returning.

when this happens, it will happen 4 or 5 times a minute, and can last for the whole gaming session.

ive tried every solution I can find online. The only thing I haven’t tried is buying a premium certified hdmi cable.

just wondering if anyone had any recommendations, cable wise, what to look out for etc.

I have a year left on the 5 year guarantee with John Lewis.

contacted them, and they replied telling me to reset the tv. That worked for a few days, but now it’s back just as bad. So if the cable doesn’t work, I’ll re contact them.

Cable is first thing I would try.

If the PS5 menu were it says 4K transfer rate try dialing that to -1 or -2 which will use more chroma subsampling lowering bandwidth, it might be a temporary fix if it works.

Cable is first thing I would try.

If the PS5 menu were it says 4K transfer rate try dialing that to -1 or -2 which will use more chroma subsampling lowering bandwidth, it might be a temporary fix if it works.

cheers for the help buddy.

funnily enough.... it was at its worst an hour ago... 9 times in a minute!

I read online about the transfer rate. I put that to -1, still done it... put it to -2 and it stopped it.

with that, what am I losing by putting it on -2?

ideally it like it on default, and then fix the issue, so would like to try a new cable.

could you recommend a premium certified cable.

Thanks again for your help.

Chroma subsampling reduces image quality and uses less bandwidth as a result.

There are 3 levels of chroma from uncompressed to compressed.

Most likely your outputting chroma YUV 420 so there is a slight reduction in overall image quality, it wont be quite as sharp.

Get another cable, a certified premium high speed HDMI cable should work.

cheers for the help buddy.

funnily enough.... it was at its worst an hour ago... 9 times in a minute!

I read online about the transfer rate. I put that to -1, still done it... put it to -2 and it stopped it.

with that, what am I losing by putting it on -2?

ideally it like it on default, and then fix the issue, so would like to try a new cable.

could you recommend a premium certified cable.

Thanks again for your help.

I've got a few of the kable direkt ones from amazon and they are spot on and quite reasonably priced.

Chroma subsampling reduces image quality and uses less bandwidth as a result.

There are 3 levels of chroma from uncompressed to compressed.

Most likely your outputting chroma YUV 420 so there is a slight reduction in overall image quality, it wont be quite as sharp.

Get another cable, a certified premium high speed HDMI cable should work.
Thanks buddy.
I’d rather obviously not lower the image quality, so will try and get a cable soon as. Thanks for your help.

I've got a few of the kable direkt ones from amazon and they are spot on and quite reasonably priced.

thanks for the recommendation.
I’m rubbish when it comes to this end of the technology spectrum.

my tv is a Samsung ks7000, it’s from 2016. Doesn’t have hdmi 2.1.

so cable wise, what am I looking for?

I see there’s different gbps.

mom guessing I don’t need to go highest as that’s only for 8k, and hdmi 2.1?

thanks for your help m8.

Anything that has the certified premium high speed logo on it like this.

Your TV cannot go beyond the limits of HDMI 2.0 so buying some fancy HDMI 2.1 48gpbs cable does nothing.

One other thing to check is try connecting the console to HDMI port 1 of the TV, Samsung around that time do not use full bandwith HDMI 2.0 ports on all of its products, usually port 1 was full bandwidth but some all ports were, don't know about your model in particular.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Anything that has the certified premium high speed logo on it like this.

Your TV cannot go beyond the limits of HDMI 2.0 so buying some fancy HDMI 2.1 48gpbs cable does nothing.

brilliant!
Cheers for your help mate!!

much appreciated.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
thanks for the recommendation.
I’m rubbish when it comes to this end of the technology spectrum.

my tv is a Samsung ks7000, it’s from 2016. Doesn’t have hdmi 2.1.

so cable wise, what am I looking for?

I see there’s different gbps.

mom guessing I don’t need to go highest as that’s only for 8k, and hdmi 2.1?

thanks for your help m8.

something like this: Amazon product ASIN B004XISZ8E

I was looking at that one but can’t seem to see if it’s premium certified. Don’t see the sticker logo thing around anywhere?

that sticker is just an excuse to charge people more. I've got 4 of these cables and they run 4k @ 60hz fine, one is hooked up to my ps5 and through my receiver then onto the tv and haven't had any problems. I had some amazon brand ones that were supposedly the same spec and they've all bitten the dust within a few months.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom