Intermittent black screen HDR on PS5

Mutoid

Novice Member
Hi folks,

Been a lurker here for years and learned a lot from you experts....

This time I had to post about a problem I am having with my ps5 setup.....

My ps5 was hooked up with its HDMI 2.1 cable to my Philips LED HDMI 2.0. Never had a problem till I had to change the HDMI cable as it was short.

Now I bought a 5m high speed HDMI cable(I presume it is 2.0) and am experiencing intermittent black screen while on HDR......

Had to change HDMI transfer rate to -2 on PS5 screen settings and seems to be solved BUT... YUV 422 decreased to YUV 420.

My question.....will there be an image or graphic downgrade changing to YUV 420 since I want to maximise resolution for gaming? I know about my setup limitation due to TV being HDMI2.0 but I 'd like to take advantage of any setting as much as possible..... was thinking of buying another HDMI 2.1 cable as I hadn't experienced this while using the HDMI that came wth the PS5 and go back to YUV 422 setting.
Sorry for the long question guys and appreciate all the help on this excellent forum.

Last edited:

Darbo

Hi folks,

Been a lurker here for years and learned a lot from you experts....

This time I had to post about a problem I am having with my ps5 setup.....

My ps5 was hooked up with its HDMI 2.1 cable to my Philips LED HDMI 2.0. Never had a problem till I had to change the HDMI cable as it was short.

Now I bought a 5m high speed HDMI cable(I presume it is 2.0) and am experiencing intermittent black screen while on HDR......

Had to change HDMI transfer rate to -2 on PS5 screen settings and seems to be solved BUT... YUV 422 decreased to YUV 420.

My question.....will there be an image or graphic downgrade changing to YUV 420 since I want to maximise resolution for gaming? I know about my setup limitation due to TV being HDMI2.0 but I 'd like to take advantage of any setting as much as possible..... was thinking of buying another HDMI 2.1 cable as I hadn't experienced this while using the HDMI that came wth the PS5 and go back to YUV 422 setting.
Sorry for the long question guys and appreciate all the help on this excellent forum.
The biggest issue i can see is your 5 metre cable, in past experience I've had handshake issues with longer cables, if you can reduce the length I'd definitely do that, also don't assume it's hdmi 2.1 or 2.0, make sure because if you don't have the bandwidth you won't have the picture.

Mutoid

Novice Member
The biggest issue i can see is your 5 metre cable, in past experience I've had handshake issues with longer cables, if you can reduce the length I'd definitely do that, also don't assume it's hdmi 2.1 or 2.0, make sure because if you don't have the bandwidth you won't have the picture.
Thanks for the reply.....I also believe the issue is with the HDMI. I assumed it is HDMI 2.0 since on the cable it is listed as high speed. If I 'm not mistaken, HDMI 2.1 should be ULTRA high speed.....

Any idea if graphics are downgraded from YUV 422 to 420?

Darbo

Thanks for the reply.....I also believe the issue is with the HDMI. I assumed it is HDMI 2.0 since on the cable it is listed as high speed. If I 'm not mistaken, HDMI 2.1 should be ULTRA high speed.....

Any idea if graphics are downgraded from YUV 422 to 420?
I don't think you'll really notice too much but yeah it is a downgrade for sure, get a 2.1 cable and see how you go with that, more bandwidth may help over that kind of distance.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable and advertising as such is actually breaking hdmi.org standards.

To allow the full set of HDMI 2.1 features the cable connecting the devices should be an Ultra High Speed certified cable and have a hologram and QR code in the packaging to validate this.

For HDMI 2.0 then you need a premium certified cable again with a QR code and hologram.

You can buy all sorts of cables with all sorts of promises but unless they have been certified then there is a risk they will not perform as expected and issues like you have seen arise. Particularly as you get to the limits of a cable.

You shouldn’t need to downgrade the output to solve this.

5m is probably the limit for cables connecting 2.1 devices but there are a few on Amazon for just under 20.

Darbo

There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable and advertising as such is actually breaking hdmi.org standards.

To allow the full set of HDMI 2.1 features the cable connecting the devices should be an Ultra High Speed certified cable and have a hologram and QR code in the packaging to validate this.

For HDMI 2.0 then you need a premium certified cable again with a QR code and hologram.

You can buy all sorts of cables with all sorts of promises but unless they have been certified then there is a risk they will not perform as expected and issues like you have seen arise. Particularly as you get to the limits of a cable.

You shouldn’t need to downgrade the output to solve this.

5m is probably the limit for cables connecting 2.1 devices but there are a few on Amazon for just under 20.
Of course there is, one is 18 gbps and the other is 48 gbps, they all have 2.0 or 2.1 on the packaging, alongside things like HIGH SPEED or 8K 120HZ.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Of course there is, one is 18 gbps and the other is 48 gbps, they all have 2.0 or 2.1 on the packaging, alongside things like HIGH SPEED or 8K 120HZ.

I politely suggest you go read the rules, this is why people get confused about buying cables and end up cables that don't work as expected. Not all cables are made equally and quite a lot of cables struggle particularly at length and at higher resolutions

These days you want to buy as I said you want to buy either an Ultra High Speed Certified or a Premium Certified cables. That way you actually get something that has been properly tested at the distance you are buying.

This is particularly important as the OP is buying a 5m cable and this is at the limit of Ultra High-Speed passive cables.

Mutoid

Novice Member
I politely suggest you go read the rules, this is why people get confused about buying cables and end up cables that don't work as expected. Not all cables are made equally and quite a lot of cables struggle particularly at length and at higher resolutions

These days you want to buy as I said you want to buy either an Ultra High Speed Certified or a Premium Certified cables. That way you actually get something that has been properly tested at the distance you are buying.

This is particularly important as the OP is buying a 5m cable and this is at the limit of Ultra High-Speed passive cables.
Yes, the culprit was the 5m HDMI cable.....
Swapped with a 3m 8K cable and now can display YUV 422 in HDR with no intermittent black screen.
Problem solved. Thanks a lot guys.

Darbo

I already said the length was the issue, i also said that most, if not all cable manufacturers still put 2.0 or 2.1 on the descriptions and packaging as a way of letting the consumer know what they're buying.
I don't need to read rules, i don't make cables, maybe notify the guys that do?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom