Intermittant Red Pixel after 40 hours use - Anything I can do ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,935
    I bought an AE200 just under a year ago from, Discount Electrical, but due to lack of time (busy with work) I have only put 48 hours on the clock in low lamp mode.

I had a dead pixel check when I bought the projector and all has been ok.

I was however very unhappy when, at about 40 hours I started to notice 1 red pixel appearing. Yes, it's a pixel, very clearly defined.

Regarding it's position. I have my projector mounted upside down (like many do) and in the position, the red pixel is about 12" from the bottom of the screen and about 15" from the left hand side. (this is on a 7 feet wide screen)

As I said, it has only appeared since the projector hit about 40 hours.
    It's only actually there about 80% of the time, the other 20% it dissapears, or rather is shimmers, dulls, and dissapears, then after say perhaps a minute or 30 seconds it's back again.

I guess you would call it a failing pixel rather than dead or stuck.

It would not be do bad if it were black, or dark in colour but it's BRIGHT RED !

Meaning on so many films which are dark (expecially round the edges these days) it stands out like a sore thumb.

It's Bright red against black, it also stands out terrible against green, or pretty much any colour.
    White is about the only time it's hidden.

I don't know if it will eventually totally fail and be red 100% of the time as opposed to 80% of the time, but it's ruining my film watching.
    I must look to see if it's there about 100+ times during a film !!! :(

Do you think theres anything I can do............

I'd like to upgrade to an AE700 as I've got the taste for the BIG screen now, but unsure how to go about this issue. as it's still under warrenty and had a dead pixel check when I bought it, and yes, it was free from bad pixels up until 40 hours as I said.

Not sure best way to proceed.

Was thinking about contacting Discount Electrical, but not sure if it would be considered serious enough, it's just that it stands out like a sore thumb.
    A Black pixel would not be noticed 90% of the time but red......

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Please forgive my poor memory/lazinessin searching, but are you using a pc to run the AE200? - I ask because I'm sure I've posted stuff to you about hcpc/hoya etc - or am I losing it ??!!

Anyway, if you are using a pc, there is a known issue with unregistered Powerstrip causing a red pixel fashing in the bottom left quadrant of the screen (that's with cieiling mount)... It's ages since I've had this issue (maybe it was trial powerdvd/Windvd causing it ??) I honestly can't remember - maybe it was ATI ControlPanel.... but some software issue might be at the root of it. Connect up a dvd player or any source (composite or Svid would do for experimentation purposes) and see if the intermittant pixel issue is still there....

If this turns out to be waaaaay off-beam..... :blush: feel free to ignore my ramblings....

Sean.

3. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,935
    Thanks for your posting "TheRitz"

Yes, I am using powerstrip via a PC and yes I am using WinDVD as a player (also have powerDVD on my system too)

I think I'm being optimistic in hoping it's something to do with whats driving the projector, but you have given me a little hope!!

I made a mistake (it was late at night!)

The intermittant (well most of the time) BRIGHT RED pixel is in the lower RIGHT hand side of the screen (when the projector is upside down)

It is definatly ONE pixel, as I am doing 1:1 pixel matching it's clear that it is just 1 pixel and 1 pixel alone.

What I will do (which should prove one way or another) I can use those test colours the projector can do can't I.

No PC on at all, The thing is. I can't remember what buttons on the remote you press to get the full screen, red, green, blue, white, black test screens. I know it was hold a certain button down whilst in a certain menu, and you could cycle thru colours (good for testing for dead pixels)

Can you (or anyone) remember which button.
    Then i can test my (what looks like) bad pixel without driving the projector from any source.

Cheers.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

With the main menu displayed, select "Options". On the Options screen, hold down the "Menu" button on the remote for a couple of seconds - this will put you into the Service Mode menu. In there you'll find an option "Self Test" - this allows you to cycle through the colours as well as all-white and all-grey/black screens, iirc.

I'll be interested to see if this is a software/hardware issue - I am certain that I had this issue or something very like it when starting down the hcpc route. Either that or I'll be embarassed !! :blush:

Sean.

5. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,935
    Cheers for that.
    I did used to know about it, but had forgotten.
    (Must write it down this time!)

Thinking about it, It can't be a DVD Software player issue, as the red pixel was flickering on/off with just windows wallpaper being displayed BEFORE I started playing a film last night. So it's either powerstrip (which is on all the time) or it's (as I really suspect) a pixel which has gone intermitantly faulty)

Not sure if a pixel showing bright red is called a failed red pixel, or it the other colours failing that's causing it to be red.

Perhaps someone can explain this one.

I'd have thought if red failed there would be no red (or am I thinking back to front here?)

eg: I'm thinking would TWO pixels need to fail for there to be a red dot on screen? as I can't accept 2 pixels would fail in the same place.

Just trying to get my head around 3 panels which all overlay to create the colours, and what permutaion of failing dots on a LCD panel would create what colour on screen.

If the screen is White then my red dot is gone as I guess all panels are turning their lcd dots off and letting the light thru. If the screen is black they all dots should be on blocking the light, but if a dot is still on, it means one panel has not blocked the light, but it also means 2 panels must still be blocking.

Ohhh my head hurts :confused:

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    You aren't thinking back to front; LCDs work back to front.

An LCD pixel's natural state is transparent. When "energised" it goes opaque. If a pixel in the red-filtered LCD chip fails, it will allow red tinted light through when it should be opaque. Hence it will appear as a bright spot on anything with little or no red component.

If it does transpire to be a failed pixel (as opposed to a signal issue) then, whilst there's no harm in asking, I'd guess that the combination of age, plus what manufacturers commonly cite as "their" acceptable tolerance would make a no cost remedy unlikely.

If you have a fixed screen, try applying a green dot to it at the point where the bad pixel is.

7. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,935
    Many thanks for the explanation.
    I was thinking the other way around I think :confused:
    I'm sure now it's not a video signal issue as the red pixel appeared when the PC was turned off at the mains, hence no signal at all.
    It did dissapear for some time, just to try and confuse me, but came back again. This one pixel is not 100% not working all the time. Sometimes it's working perfect, othertimes it's stuck red. I'd say about 75% stuck 25% working, and sometimes, it's half working, flickering between the two states.

I'm wondering if over time it will be totally stuck on, or will just go away for good as mysteriously as it appeared.....

8. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,935
    Well, "TheRitz"
    Thanks for your help, and you did raise my hopes during the day at work a little (though I knew it was a long shot)

I left my PC turned off and fired up the projector. after a minute of so I saw the little red pixel appear, flickering a bit, but brightened up a bit. I then went into service mode, and it dissapeared. I went through the colours and all perfect.

Hmmmmmm, It then tried to trick me, as I looked away turned the pc on, looked back and the red pixel had reappeared.

Put on a DVD, and it was there most of the time, but sometimes dissapearing.

Turned the PC back off (totally) and it was still there.
    Then went away for a few moments, then flickering, then back again.

It definatly looks like it's a faulty red pixel I'm afraid.

I know i'm being fussy, but you see I work in a high precision toolroom at work and I have to be ultra fussy at work, and I'm ultra fussy at home also.
    Wheras some people would just accept it (as many do I'm sure) I just can't stop looking at it....!

Thinking I may just sell my AE200 anyway now (as I intended to) but not sure how 1 suspect pixel will affect it's price. I'm thinking £500.
    As apart from this, it's still in boxed as new condition.

I'll put the money towards a 700 probably.

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Soz about that mate.... I wasn't trying to get your hopes up needlessly - my recollection of the issue I had is nigh on two years old at this stage, but it was definitely there - fecked if I can remember the exact issue it was tracked down to, but Kramer knew what was at the root of it and it was resolved in the course of HCPC setups with his help.

Can understand that it would niggle, won't comment on possible value of AE200 - a quick look at the "For Sale" forum will give you an idea of how the land lies here - you also have the option of a private sale elsewhere.

All the best,

Sean.