Question Intermittant picture off/on/off with sony HW40ES PJ

Just replied to your post, yeah I was pretty much in the same shoes not so long ago and no one could help. Don't worry it'll all fall into place and your PJ won't just quit on you.

Guys,

sorry it's been a while since I updated this. All my screenshots above are gone as I had to make some changes to my photobucket account.

But anyway I am still seeing the random/intermittant loss of picture. Initially It was only ever present when watching region 2 DVDs (my sony BDP is not multi-region) BUT I have just gone and had another play with the video settings on both the BDP and the AVR, and the problem is now definately proved to be either the AVR video/config settings, or the 10metre HDMI cable causing handshake issues.

To prove this, I switched off the blu ray player. With just the denon AVR and the PJ powered up, I bought up the denon on-screen setup menus, and when I went into the VIDEO/OUTPUT settings and changed the video mode from 'AUTO' to 'MOVIE' the projected image went haywire and kept going back to the infamous black screen. I changed it back to 'AUTO' and fingers crossed all seems ok now (too early to be conclusive but at least I can log my video config settings/changes here). Here is a screenshot of my current AVR settings. Does this look correct guys?

Last edited:
as mentioned a few times the only way to be sure is to directly connect the PJ to the player to eliminate components. Have you done that??

^^ I did not ask how to localise the issue, I asked how other people have configured their Denon AVR video settings !!

It may not be clear, but look at the last sentance and the screen shot from post #33

you said this: ", and the problem is now definatelyproved to be either the AVR video/config settings, or the 10metre HDMI cable causing handshake issues. "

Only trying to help but no worries won't say things from here on. Good luck figuring it out without the process of elimination.

I did not say that I was not going to prove the 10metre HDMI cable, I am merely asking for advice on AVR video settings. If you cannot understand that then just say so !

I would keep Video Conversion to Off - that way you pass the 'native' signal through to the Display and allow the Display to apply any required processing.

Many Displays have the ability to assign 'per signal' type processing so you can adjust the Display options for multiple formats on a single Input - you loose that ability if you 'homogenise' the various signal types within the AVR.

When your AVR is going into Movie mode check if it is enabling Deep Color - if yes try disabling it.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I will try that and get back to you.

James

Hi Joe/guys

I disabled the video conversion mode on my AVR, but at this stage it's too early to say whether this has cured the problem or not. Only slight negative I noticed since disabling vid conversion is when I make a change to the AVR volume whilst watching a dvd/blu-ray/netfilx etc, the AVR volume no longer displays on the screen ! Not a major problem to me but thought I would mention it.

One more thing, does my blu ray player (snony BDP S7200) apply 'progressive scan' to the DVD and Blu ray media?

James

The Player can usually be set to Interlaced or Progressive Output for DVD - you can try it On/Off and see if you 'see' more artefacts using the TV deiterlacing vs. the Player deiterlacing.

Additionally you can usually set the Player to up convert (to 1080p - p being Progressive) or leave the DVD in its native format and allow the TV to up-convert.

Blu-ray is always Progressive - either 60Hz or more usually 24p

Joe

'Although uncommon, the standards do allow for interlaced content on bluray.' - knew that one would catch me out!

* I should have included a disclaimer :)

Joe

I don't think I've ever come across a 1080/60p BluRay, plus the Wiki link doesn't show such an option. I understood that most BluRays are either 1080/24p or 1080/60i, though I have come across a couple of 1080/50i discs.

I did step into a minefield :)

Any discs I have are 1080p24 - in terms of outputting them it's either 1080p24 or for some Displays setting the Player to 1080p60.

Joe

Guys,

I have a new VPLHW40ES, 26 hours on the lamp timer, used in low power 2D mode only. I have only owned this about 6 weeks and not watched many films in their entirety yet (I must admit I have been switching the PJ on and off for short duration over the last few weeks but this has been due to testing out different screens etc. I always let the PJ cool down and I do not switch it on and off repeatedly during a single day). This is a UK sourced brand new PJ from Sevenoaks sound and vision and not a grey import.

On with the problem. When I have had time to watch a movie, I have noticed on a couple of occassions (seems to be when watching DVD only thus far) the screen goes black for a few secs and then normal playback is resumed. Audio is not affected. This intermittant on/off of the image can occur for between 1 and 8 seconds on average, and seems to be very random, and I can see no cause for the issue. When I look at the lens at an angle when this problem occurs, it is as if the PJ is actually switching on and off, although the fans are not interrupted so this is not a power issue as far as I can tell. Seems odd that this has only ever occurred whilst watching DVD discs.

Physical setup is this -- sony BDP S7200 HDMI ---> Denon AVR X2200w ---> Sony PJ.

Can anyone help please? :(:(

James

I have had this problem on a number of occasions. The 4K capable HDMI chip in the Denon is probably struggling to talk to the non 4K PJ over the long HDMI. The newer 4K chips have a much tighter tolerance over distance, even if passing lower resolutions. If you replace the HDMI with an optical HDMI it will probably solve the problem, has for me everytime. The only issue is that the optical HDMI's are not cheap.

Or change the 10m HDMI cable to a HDBaseT Cat 6 HDMI extender. There is a Neet one you can get from Amazon for £95 which is cheaper than an Optical HDMI cable.
The extender isn't 4K capable but neither is the HW40es

The Player can usually be set to Interlaced or Progressive Output for DVD - you can try it On/Off and see if you 'see' more artefacts using the TV deiterlacing vs. the Player deiterlacing.

Additionally you can usually set the Player to up convert (to 1080p - p being Progressive) or leave the DVD in its native format and allow the TV to up-convert.

Joe

Thanks again Joe. I will check whether my sony projector or Blu Ray player actual has options to change video output for DVDs to interlaced or progressive. Not a deal breaker either way as my main issue is/was this intermittant loss of picture problem, which still could be the 10metre HDMI cable. Luckily I have installed a second 10m HDMI cable in the ceiling, as well as 2 x cat 6 cables.

If you replace the HDMI with an optical HDMI it will probably solve the problem, has for me everytime. The only issue is that the optical HDMI's are not cheap.

Have you a link for an optical HDMI unit? I'm rebuilding my room this spring and I'd like to replace a 7 year old HDMI cable (12 metres long and it passes 3D without issues) with something capable of 4K to allow for future upgrades.

Have you a link for an optical HDMI unit? I'm rebuilding my room this spring and I'd like to replace a 7 year old HDMI cable (12 metres long and it passes 3D without issues) with something capable of 4K to allow for future upgrades.
Lindy do these ones, I hope you are sitting down when you open the link. Audio/Video Cables & Adapters from LINDY UK
I would also run a couple of Cat 6 cables at the same time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom