Intermittant 25 and 29 "No Signal" problem - Standard Sky digibox

Mozziebite

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here and frustrated with this problem. I have a pretty old (10yrs +) Pace 1.3Z39 standard digibox. A couple of days ago it started coming up with the "no signal" message and an error code of either 25 or 29. It's not off constantly - sometimes it just cuts out for a few seconds, other times it might be for an hour or two. Then it comes back on but the signal breaks up slightly. Again, not all the time - sometimes it's fine.
I've been through all these forums and others, and tried all the fixes and strategies I can find, but the problem remains. When I disconnect the LNB cable and plug it into the TV with built-in Freesat, the Freesat picture is fine, so I'm guessing that means the problem isn't with the dish or cable. Is that fair comment?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

When I disconnect the LNB cable and plug it into the TV with built-in Freesat, the Freesat picture is fine, so I'm guessing that means the problem isn't with the dish or cable. Is that fair comment?

Possibly. You say the problem with the Sky box is intermittent. For how long, continuously connected to the dish, have you tried the Freesat?

I connected it yesterday afternoon when I got sick of the Sky problem, and it was connected for about 24 hrs when I reconnected to the digibox to see if the problem was still there, which it was. There's no issues with the Freesat reception.

Call Sky, threaten to cancel (because your box doesn't work), decline any offers of a £65 "Engineer" visit, and see if they offer you a free replacement box. If it doesn't work the first time keep trying. As you have Freesat, (tell them that on the phone call), you have nothing much to lose.

What's risky about it? I did say "threaten".

OK, might have to do that. I'd like to get to the bottom of the problem though. Cheers.

Just to add strength to your argument when you phone Sky:-

Anyone, even with the minimum Sky subscription, will have paid for their box, and installation, ( be it Sky, Sky+, HD, whatever), within 2 to 6 months.
All subscription money from then on is pure profit for Sky.
It costs Sky no more to transmit satellite TV to 1 subscriber as it does to 10M+.
Subscription fees are Sky's lifeline.

I have a pretty old (10yrs +) Pace 1.3Z39 standard digibox
Then you have the strongest grounds for asking for a replacement and the strongest expectation of getting it that we've ever had on the forum. Neither strength nor threats should be necessary. :)

I should have added that my comments above related to "free" Sky boxes - if anyone paid for them, more fool you!!

Then you have the strongest grounds for asking for a replacement and the strongest expectation of getting it that we've ever had on the forum. Neither strength nor threats should be necessary.

I've just called Sky (on a free number to boot) and just gave them a sob story about my elderly father not wanting to pay a £65 call out fee. I didn't even threaten to cancel. Got transferred to a nice lady in Scotland who offered a free callout with either a free brand new Sky HD box or a new Sky+ box for £15. They were very nice about the whole thing, saying that as we were such old customers we were due a treat.

Thanks for your responses guys!

You've just "been had" for £15, but, nevertheless, a good result.
Your best option is to go for the Sky+ box - without increasing your subscription

The "standard" Sky+ box is HD and will give you all the Free to View HD channels and allow recording, as well as giving you a brand new dish and LNB.

Just make sure that as soon as it is fitted, you call Sky to enable the + facilities.

Last edited:
The descriptions "Sky HD box" and "Sky+ box" are misleading.
First, these things are better than just "boxes", then there IS a HD receiver that doesn't record but it's usually provided only for multiroom installations, and the only other machine they have is a HD PVR which of course includes the recording facilities that add nothing to your subscription.

The descriptions "Sky HD box" and "Sky+ box" are misleading.

Might help if you referenced the post to which you are replying......:rolleyes:

Yeah, I went for the Sky+ box. Maybe some "old hands" on here think that's still not the best deal I could have got out of them, but I'm happy with £15 for the box and no call out fee. And I didn't know that Sky+ gets the FTV HD channels, so thanks for that.

It's the descriptions, "new Sky+ box", contrasted with "Sky HD box", that are confusing.
There is no new Sky machine that is only for Sky+ and not for HD, though there IS a very recent Sky HD receiver that does not record.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom