Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Intermitent RAM Recording Probs on DMR-E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by petehall, Feb 10, 2005.

1. petehall

petehall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am experiencing occasional problems when recording on DVD-RAM on my fairly new Panasonic DMR-E55 recorder. It only happens occasionally, but has now happened on 3 different discs. They are all Panasonic LM-AF120LE5 discs.

I know that the programme being recorded was transmitted without fault, but when I come to play back the recording there are lots of simultaneous blocks and the picture keeps jumping, blocking and stalling. The sound breaks up and makes the whole thing unwatchable. The odd thing is that it doesn't happen across the whole disc, there may be three good recordings on the disc and one crappy one.

Anyone experienced this themselves? Is it likely to be the recorder or the media? I'd appreciate any suggestions. :lease:

2. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happened on mine the other day. It was a slight smear on the disc that I think has been there when it was recorded which made the picture pixellated, jumpy and freeze. It seems that the discs need to be spotless to record/playback. I am thinking of investing in a couple of caddy discs to stop my girlfriend putting c**p all over them. :mad:

3. petehall

petehall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Zenki, I didn't realise they were that fussy. A number of my discs have finger marks on, so I'll try cleaning them and try again. I can see I'm gonna have to be more careful when handling them.

Good point about getting cassetted discs, but I've just bought 25 of these un-cassetted ones, so it'll be a while before I need any more. Thanks again.

Pete :thumbsup:

4. jpurkey

jpurkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had that problem occasionally before switching to the cartridge discs. When I'd eject the disc I'd find a speck of dust at the approximate point on the disc (from center to outer edge) where the error occurred. No problems since switching to the discs in cartrdiges. I use the doubled sided ones. You have to flip them to use the other side, but they save space.

5. petehall

petehall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jpurkey

I've just cleaned the 8 disks I've used so far, they were all covered in fingerprints. I'd blame the kids if they hadn't got married and left home 30 years ago.

Double sided flippy cassettes sound great but I bet they're pricey.

Pete