1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intermitant playback probs!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mandril, May 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night my sky+ box went mad and I lost everything in my planner, I called sky CS and went through the usual proceedure unplug, blah, blah, blah. Then a full system reset. Then when I tried to record anything I kept getting the message incorrect time. So sky booked me an engineer for friday. Anyway after I hung the phone up I did another system reset and it appeared to be working OK. But when I tried to watch some stuff this morning when I press play, after a second or so it just goes back to the channel I was watching. Now I've tried a few different times during the day and sometimes it works sometimes it don't.

At the moment I'm on my third box (which was only installed six weeks ago) and my original guarantee runs out in about ten days.

So has anyone else had intermittent probs? What happens if sky come round and its fine that morning, should I just ask for there next availiable appointment and hope it doesn't work then. Cause I know what will happen. Sky guy will come round, it will work fine, then a few days latter my guarantee will run out and the box will pack up for good!

Also do sky offer an extended warrenty for sky+.

If they dont and my box packs up again, and they won't repair it for free I'm gonna take them to small claims court! I dont think that its acceptable to have so many problems with a piece of electrical equiptment that cost over £300.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I'm not 100% sure but when SKY repair/replace a unit it carries at least a three month warranty. Also it can be argued that you are still trying to solve an existing problem which was first reported to SKY during the original warranty period.
    A lot of reoccuring problems with SKY+ I honestly believe are done to replacement boxes being supplied by SKY being reconditioned and even still faulty units which then break down pretty quickly and are again replaced with yet another used or faulty unit.

3. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks starburst,

I'm pretty sure that when you get a replacment box from sky you get a 30 day guarantee or the origenal 1 year which ever is the longest. They also say that its a brand new box, but as there is no way to check this you can't go shouting and screaming at them. I love my sky+ system and I don't even mind the £10 sub (well I do a bit), but I know that I'm going to get s**t over as soon as my 12months is up.

Has anyone had any contact with sky out of their warrenty period?

Thanks

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    This thread from the DS forum gives you a method of finding out the date of manufactur of the SKY+ and it also mentions a SKY+ extended warranty.

5. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again starburst,

It looks like my latest box was 4 months old when I got it so it probably was new. good to know though.

6. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky guy came round on friday and I explained the problem to him, though it was working fine when he arrived. He had a new box with him and said I may as well take it anyway. The 'new' box was a V1 and had the same manufacture date as the one it replaced 48/2. But its working fine at the moment so I can't complane (yet). Also sky want £99 a year to extend the warrenty. Which I will have to take judging by how many times the box packed up in year one.