Intermediate upgrade SD dvd Oppo

mhjo

Established Member
Reaction score
I am preparing for my new setup, I have pre ordered a Panny TH-42PH9.
I have a Sony dvd player (Dvp NS-730/p) w. progressive/component.

I have been recommended to buy an Oppo 970 Dvd to replace the Sony, in order to have a nice picture before I eventually get a HD player.

Is this really waste of money, or will I notice improvement?

Where are you based? Oppo 970 is great for NTSC land but not for PAL unless used as a transport for digital signals. How are you driving you new panel, directly or via a video processor?

I live in Noway (Pal). No prosessor between dvd and panel.

You need to look at the Oppo 971 then not the 970.

OK, 971, but will I gain anything noticable?

The 971 has the Faroudja deinterlacing chip inside and does good 3:2 (NTSC) and 2:2 pull down (PAL). The 970 can't do 2:2 with PAL and the deinterlacing although decent is not in the same class as the Faroudja equipped player. I would not touch the 970 with PAL unless I could do external deinterlacing via HDMI 480i and 576i output.

But still: will I notice anything? (between the Sony and the Oppo)?

Is it noticable in real life?

I've got the sony 730 and I switched to a samsung hd850 and noticed an improvement in picture quality, the oppo 971 is apparrantly far superior to the samsung so you should see a fair difference picture wise.
But are you happy with the picture at the moment?
The sony sony does'nt have a bad picture(if a little soft) and unless you are really unhappy with it is it really worth an upgrade?

To some a PS2 was a good DVD player, other thought it was terrible. Personally I think an Oppo does most things right which cannot be said for much of the competition. It is well reviewed as well by the most discerning of people (secrets lot) but at the end of the day it is your choice. I certainly find it noticable especially for quality plasmas at 42 inch size. There is no point spemding lots of money elsewhere and spoiling it on a player that can't keep up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom