1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interlacing saw tooth nasties

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by snelly, Sep 11, 2003.

1. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK,

so now thanks to some help from this forum I am capturing and viewing my DV footage at full native res. The only problem is I can now see just how much saw tooth effect there is from presumably from the interlacing (is that how a DV cam works?)

It does not really show up on a TV *but* on my Sony TFT which is ruthless it looks really distracting on anything moving faster than a snail - peoples limbs become very fuzzy and ill defined when moving.

Is there any post processing technique I can apply to reduce the effect? Presumably the best option is for cameras to do prog scan - would faster shutter speed modes help?

Thanks in advance again

Tim

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    By the sound if it the problem is with your TFT monitor and not the captured footage.
    TFT monitors are not best used with fast moving images, hence the fuzzy images. This is backed up by the fact that it is not noticeable on a (presumeably larger) TV.

Mark.

3. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    mark,

whilste there is a blur on any tft with moving things - mouse pointer for example...this is different.

It is not so much the moving image that is distracting but the contents of the static frame. Without showing an image it is a bit hard to explain but imagine that between the odd and even scans someones arm moves significantly. On the odd scan the arm is in one position and in the even another. When you see a freeze frame (a composite of both scans) you get this weird effect where the moving part has a very clear stepped / saw tooth edge to it so you might see the arm on all the odd lines but the dark background in the even ones...it looks a bit crappy. It does not show up on a tv because (i guess) the luminant (sp.?) intertia of the glowing phosphor.

Perhaps Ill try and post an example...

Tim

4. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well i have got a good grab but cant see a way to upload it here...

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    to attach a picture click on the 'Post Reply' button on the thick blue bar below the last post.
    Below the area where you type your reply is a box labeled as 'Attach File:'
    Enter the details of the file to attach in there or use the 'Browse' button.
    Click on the 'Submit Reply' button.

Mark.

ps max pic size of 300x300 pixels.

6. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok

Attached Files:

7. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    as you can see around the two dogs and the fleece there is loads of this going on...is it interlacing as I suspect...or something else i have got wrong...