1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interlaced signal into plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sub, Aug 21, 2003.

1. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happens when I feed a interlaced PAL signal in to my Fujitsu P42VHA20 (853x480) non interlaced display? Does it convert it to progressive before displaying?

If I was actually outputing a progressive PAL signal, does the panel skip it's own de-interlacing step?

I'm trying to work out whether I should upgrade my old-ish DVD player to a progressive scan player. I want to hold off for now, to let the DVD recorders get a little better and a little cheaper.

2. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sub,

Thankfully you have a progressive displaying panel, otherwise we would be in for a right discussion!. The panel will convert the interlaced input into progressive and display as such.

The way in which it does this was discussed in another thread :-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89471
    But in a nut shell it has been concluded that it combines the two feilds, making a progressive frame (different deinterlacing techniques depending on source) and then displays.

The final picture quality will depend on the quality of the deinterlacing involved. Generally external deinterlacers are of a better quality than the panels own.

Tony