1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interlaced scan better than progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dingo8yobaby, Dec 11, 2004.

1. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    i've heard like most people the virtues of prog scan and how its the preferred dvd to screen connection (after hdmi or dvi i suppose). however, whilst visiting dixons in marble arch, i saw a jvc 42pb50 plasma screen connected to a jvc ths51 home cinema sysytem via pal prog scan. it was playing an animated disc promoting sonys new digital tv promotion but the picture exhibited massively jagged edges around the blob shaped characters outline so i asked a sales guy to switch it to interlaced; the outlines of the characters became pin sharp and produced a better picture- please explain as i thought one of the benefits of prog scan was fewer jaggies!?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Progressive scan only looks better when the display device supports it. Some plasmas do not support progressive scan.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The JVC screen would have been using it's internal deinterlacer when the DVD player was set to output an interlaced image.

So it depends on which has the better deinterlacing...the screen or the DVD player.

If you compare the internal deinterlacer of say a Panny PW7 plasma with that of a cheap prog-scan DVD player then it's most likely that the plasma will do a better job than the DVD player. Using the same screen with say a Pio 868 or Denon 3910 and the DVD player will liekly out perform the plasma's internal processing.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Lee

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on a demo in Dixons, as their staff don't have the slightest idea of how to properly display this type of equipment.

Most likely the jaggies you saw were caused by the poor setup of the plasma and dvd player rather than the equipment itself not being up to the job.

5. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    thanks for the replies, that makes a lot of sense. the jvc home cinema system was one of those one box solutions and dixons were selling it for 200 squid so i guess the internal deinterlacing was not up to scratch. just out of interest lee, how much would a pioneer 868 cost cos i did see a pioneer 2750 dvd player which has pal prog scan selling for 70 squid- i guess it'd be pointless using its internal deinterlacer huh?

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Your looking at something in the region of £700 for the 868 and about the same for the 3910...some cheaper players are good also but generally speaking in this game you only get what you pay for.

Cheers, Lee

7. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    thanks for the replies been really informative.

8. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HJere's an interesting one for you.
    The other day I was watching a 'plasma art' NTSC disk. It was playing on a pioneer 747 which was in it's day (two years ago) a 1000 pound player. However, it only supports NTSC prog scan.
    There were some jagged lines so I switched to interlaced and the picture was a little bit clearer.
    I was going to get my player converted to do pal prog scan (at a cost of 120 quid) but not now!

9. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! I've bought a Denon 3910 and connected it to a Screenplay 7200 via the DVD HDMI out to the Screenplay DVI/HDMI input.
    Question. How the h*ll do I configure this kit? 720, 1080, progressive or interlaced? :suicide:
    I am predominantly watching DVD's and some Imax DVD's
    I would really appreciate some expert advice as I find myself a little out of my depth with a manual the size of a telephone directory!