Interlaced/Progressive scan

B

bobbypunk

Is progressive scan impressive enough to break out of it's price barrier.
If you have a no frills £1200 dvd player that only outputs interlaced pictures from component would you expect it to give a better or worse picture than a £600 feature packed player like the Denon DVD2200?
Basically is progressive scan done basically worse than interlaced done well?

KraGorn

Novice Member
Depends on your display .. some displays feature far better de-interlacers and scalers than DVD players, I saw a review of the Toshiba MT8 which said:

Deinterlacing/scaling: This is another area in which the 7200 and MT8 excel. Images from DVD are clean and razor sharp, and images from HDTV are almost like looking through a window at the real world—exactly what HDTV should be at its best. The Faroudja DCDi processing system handles all composite, S-video and component 480i input, but not 480p. This subsystem gives you a greater degree of image control than is available on 480p inputs. Thus for DVDs we preferred the results ultimately achieved with component 480i rather than progressive scan input.
If your display has such an on-board unit then buying one in a DVD player seems wasteful to me.

B

bobbypunk

The display is a panasonic 36pd30 later to become a pioneer pdp434

KraGorn

Novice Member
In that case the PIO will greatly benefit from a progressive signal I would think, though I'm not a plasma man myself I'm not aware of the PIO having a 'great' doubler/scaler.

kevshed

if this is any help...

I moved from an arcam DV88 to and FMJ DV27 (upgrade was for audio mainly), but the picture improvement on my panasonic 3 series was significant (interlaced->progressive).... granted plasma displays have moved on a but since mine, but i suspect the R&D hasnt gone into the scaler circuits.

Im moving to a Pionner 434 shortly, and am sure that the prog dvd player a good route...

of course, if you are considering an external video processor that would be better still, and is an alternate route to changing your DVD player....

Kev

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom