1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interlaced/Progressive scan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bobbypunk, Jan 23, 2004.

1. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is progressive scan impressive enough to break out of it's price barrier.
    If you have a no frills £1200 dvd player that only outputs interlaced pictures from component would you expect it to give a better or worse picture than a £600 feature packed player like the Denon DVD2200?
    Basically is progressive scan done basically worse than interlaced done well?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Depends on your display .. some displays feature far better de-interlacers and scalers than DVD players, I saw a review of the Toshiba MT8 which said:

If your display has such an on-board unit then buying one in a DVD player seems wasteful to me.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The display is a panasonic 36pd30 later to become a pioneer pdp434

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In that case the PIO will greatly benefit from a progressive signal I would think, though I'm not a plasma man myself I'm not aware of the PIO having a 'great' doubler/scaler.

5. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    if this is any help...

I moved from an arcam DV88 to and FMJ DV27 (upgrade was for audio mainly), but the picture improvement on my panasonic 3 series was significant (interlaced->progressive).... granted plasma displays have moved on a but since mine, but i suspect the R&D hasnt gone into the scaler circuits.

Im moving to a Pionner 434 shortly, and am sure that the prog dvd player a good route...

of course, if you are considering an external video processor that would be better still, and is an alternate route to changing your DVD player....

Kev