Interlaced, progressive and/or what?

A

Agent 86

I know that 1080i is interlaced and that 1080p is progressive scanned, but what does 1080psf mean?

Is it just another way of expressing progressive scanned frames?

Regards,
Tim

1080sF24 is 1080segmented frames.

ie It's the 24 original recorded frames which are then split in to odd and even line fields to create a 1080i48Hz style signal.

1080i60Hz showing film source material could, in effect, be de-interlaced using 2:3 detection to find original24 Film frames. This could then be stuck out at 1080P48Hz (using 2:2 reconstruction) or 108024sf(1080i48Hz style, by just interlacing the 1080P24Hz signal). The new Lumagen HDP and HDP Pro should have this ability.

Gordon

Thank you Gordon

So the 1080psf is an interlaced format denoting that it originates from a progressive scan source? Which as you stated means that the original can be recovered in progressive scan format.

So 1080i 48sf can be converted simply to progressive scanned 1080p 24 by a 2:2 process.

And this is distinctly different from material shot straight to high-definition video interlaced format, say, 1080i 48 hertz? I guess there would be motion artefacts to account for.

Regards,
Tim

You could do 2:2 detection to get 108024sf to 1080P48Hz.

I am not overly familier with HD cams, perhaps DigitalSafari will step in here in that regard but I'd think that 108024Frames per second is probably how they record film. Video is probably recorded at 1080i60. Need to go out now but will try to get the big gus to chip in when I am back later in afternoon if there is no answer by then,

Gordon

We normally use these framerates.

23..976fps for NTSC territory progressive production like high end drama
24fps for feature films
25fps for PAL territory progressive
59.94i for NTSC territory interlaced
50i for PAL territory interlaced

The majority of progressive material is stored as PSF for wider compatibility with monitors etc.

Jonathan: Can I just confirm that from those you mean.

24fps for feature films Frames Per Second
25fps for PAL territory progressive Frames Per Second
59.94i for NTSC territory interlaced
50i for PAL territory interlaced

And that the 24fps and 25fps stuff is stored as 24segmented frames and 25 segmented frames for compatability with playback as 1080i?

Gordon

That would make sense.

Progressive segmented frames are really just interlaced versions at twice the frequency of the original Progressive frame rate.

Thank you Jonathan and Gordon.

Regards,
Tim.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom