Interlace Help Please?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by noobey, Dec 25, 2006.

1. noobey

noobey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hey guys,
    ive got a benq pe5120.
    its connected to my sky+ by a mid range (£110) 8metre composite cable, and a mid range (£135) 8 metre s-video cable.

now the picture quality was never amazing, but it was good considering im getting an 80" picture.

i prefer the quality over composite, so never use s-video.

anyway, whenever i watch football using either cable i get these unbearable jaggy lines, like a tearing effect! someone tells me this is interlacing gone wrong.

ive got no idea how to fix it, can anyone help please?:lease:

thanks guys.

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    For a start I'd ditch the composite & svideo and use component or HDMI. It doesn't matter how much you spend on cables (£110 for 8m is very high end, even excessive).. composite is crap. Even RGB SCART if you're stuck for inputs.

Jaggy lines are down to how good your deinterlacer is. If the deinterlacer in the PJ isn't very good then try setting the Sky box to 720p and using the deinterlacer in that. The alternative is to buy a scaler at around £1000 ish.. you could get a new PJ for the same or less though.

3. noobey

noobey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what?
    afaik, sky+ doesnt output to component or hdmi.
    secondly, to set the box to output 720p, it would need to be an hd box, which it isnt. its a sky+ box.

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    DID you mean component video (3x RCA connectors, red-blu-green), and not composite (1xrca yellow).

You have a DVI input with HDCP as well, so that will give best PQ followed by component.

However it does sound like the processing/deinterlacing on your PJ is not up to snuff and if thats the case there is no fix. If you are really using composite, then ditch that ASAP for component or DVI, that may help.

Past that you have to get an video processor that will do a decent job of scaling and deinterlacing but there not cheap and it would probaly be easier to buy a projector with better deinterlacing as standard.
    )your projector takes an interlaced signal and auto converts it to progressive, try and see if there are different modes for the conversion in the manual.)

SVHS, is normaly better than composite.