1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intergrated or pre-power

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gsl149, Feb 15, 2003.

1. gsl149

gsl149
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys need some help on which way to go.

Currently using a Denon AVC a1se intergrated amp but have the chance of moving on to a Lexican MC1 processor & a Parasound 200 watt amp.(Both going very cheap)
    Is there much point as the power from my Denon is almost the same as the Parasound & for the price difference will there be much difference in sound quality as my room is quite small.

Currently use Denon avc-a1se, Kef 100, Kef q35, M&K mx125 mk11, & B&O 8000 as rears

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    At this stage I'd have to say that an MC1 would have to be very cheap to be a good buy, but there are other quite affordable processors. Parasound amp is definitely superior to the Denon amplification - again, depends what price you're paying. The quality of the speakers will be extremely important, and, as you say, the room acoustics.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    gsl ...

First I'm not sure that either of the two threads Reiner has pointed you two will in fact help you in any way as these refer to suggestions of kit to buy ... the first being considerably more than what I expect you are paying for your whole new kit (it's £11k processors) and the second being specifically about the Arcam AV8. You have already decided on the kit you want - is it new or second hand

The short answer is yes there will be an increase in sound quality ... probably. Although the power output (WPC) of the Denon and the Parasound are - on paper - very similar ... most power amps are more capable than the amps in their integrated cousins. This means that the Parasound (probably - I've no actual experience with Parasound kit) will be able to deliver more current, and will have better spec'd power supply, etc.

Now whether such an upgrade is worth it for the money depends on a variety of factors ... (1) how much you're having to pay; (2) if you intend to upgrade quality of speakers later - the KEF Q35 while good will be outclassed by the rest of the kit; (3) whether this is planned as a 1-time "ultimate" purchase or if you are considering later upgrading again - if so you could buy a newer processor and keep the poweramps initially - and (4) erm ... well I can't actually think of a 4 right now.

Anyway ... to surmise the Denon is a good amp ... but the MC1 with the Parasound are in the next league (the MC1 new is around £3k I think). But at the end of the day ... the only real way to tell if its a worthwhile upgrade for you is to listen to the Denon and the MC1 / Parasound back to back with your speakers and in your room.

Victoria

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Parasound amps are generally well regarded and specc'd,having been designed by John Curl,a HiFi designer with a very good history.
    His amps usually have good sound quality,and decent current delivery,and certainly the one I use at home as a second zone amp(one the Z-amps)is very good value.

As for whether or not it is a good match for the MC-1,a lot will depend on value for money as it sounds from what you are saying that you may be getting a good deal.....do remember though that the MC-1,although very good,is essentially rendered obsolete by the new range,and upgradeability may be limited.

6. gsl149

gsl149
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I think everyone is coming to the same conclusion that it may not be worth the extra expense to upgrade.
    While i love my denon i just feel something is missing, perhaps i'll use the money & upgrade my front speakers to some M&K 85s.
    I think part of the problem is you get to a certain level & then just want a change.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    MC1 new is £5500.

My official opinion of this is as follows:

:laugh: :rotfl:

Of course it's just about to be replaced by the far more satisfactory MC8/MC8B at £5000/£5700. 2nd hand MC1s have been selling for £1500-£1800, although one on Ebay recently attracted a maximum bid of £620. (The reserve was a somewhat unrealistic £3K!).

8. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My 2 pens worth!!

Denon do make good amps/receivers all agreed on that. But most will probably agree (not all!!) that a pre/power combo is the way to go. Especially when you are adding up a 5.5k processor and 2.5k power amp against a 2kish amp. I guessing that you are looking to pay about 1500 for the lexi and about 1200-1500 for the parasound 2205, both bargains!!

grab them both hands and hang on tight!!!

The mc1 is still a current model it offers THX EX DD DTS & logic 7 etc, as does the DC2 both are upgradable from CSE solutions (uk lexi dist) and can be traded in on a MC8 if you so wish!!!

Gary

Ps. if i had the cash I know which one I would be bidding on!

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    First I'm not sure that either of the two threads Reiner has pointed you two will in fact help you in any way as these refer to suggestions of kit to buy

Well, I thought those threads contained some valuable information about processors in general - pro and cons - rather important when you consider the higher investment.
    It was not intended to prevent further replies or stop any discussion.
    In that case I would just have locked the thread ... :devil: ;)

10. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth, the PRE/POWER route has worked for me and it enables me to change one without the other. I think that a dedicated unit for power and a dedicated processor make sense as each unit can concentrate and excel in what it does.

11. graxxor

graxxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gsl149... Oh dear. I know the feeling. No matter what you're on, it's never enough!

Here's an option, which I think was not covered in this thread.

I think there are very few people who would say that the processor section of the A1SE is "poor"... But the amp section has been criticised on this board and one other for "bricking it" when driving low impedence speakers at higher volumes on all channels.

Don't bother with a new processor while there is still a lot of life left in the mature A1SE.

Buy yourself a power amp to power the front three speakers - connected to the preouts and leave the A1SE to power the surrounds. You will find the improved performance a real earopener.

As I mentioned, most of the critisisms aimed at the Denon appear to be targetted at the power section...

(ROTEL is supposed to sound rather good, although I left the UK before I had a change to test one in conjunction with the Denon)

Also, with the money you will have saved on not getting a new processor you could buy me a beer! :D

[​IMG]