1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intergrated or pre combo question

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Jun 1, 2004.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm currently seperating my home cinema and hifi sytems into two and have become unsure on the next step forward for my hifi system. I used to use an arcam av8 (in direct mode) for my stereo duties but that moved along with my home cinema setup.
    I have left so far for my hifi 1 pair of kef ref 203's and a chord spm 1200c. Now the problem i have is what do i use as the pre amp?. I've looked at the two first options as they are both the same price. I can go for the chord cpa2200 pre amp or the chord cpm2600 intergrated amp and use this to also biamp my speakers.
    As ive said they are both the same price but what im curious to know is what would be the better option or the general concensus to which is preferable in this case.
    Thanks

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I couldnt honestly say which is better since I have never heard, but my gut feeling is that the integrated amp biamping would give better performance. On the downside, it definitely offers a more closed upgrade path. If you went for the pre then you could simply add another power amp, with the integrated that approach has much less merit and in the future you may end up upgrading the integrated to get the pre and an additional power amp....

Ad

3. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the input buns