Intergrated Equiverlent of AVR 350 with Power amp for front channels

keelby1

Not sure if the title makes sense, but was wandering if you used a power amp for the front 2 channels with an AVR 300 or 350 (Cant see the difference other than HDMI switching) would you achieve anything like say the musically equiverlent of an A85 intergrated amp?

ianmacd

I would suggest using something like an A85 in proc mode for multichannel and normally for 2ch with any 2ch sources connected to the A85 type integrated amp.

keelby1

Im not really familiar with Arcam's non AV amps. Are you suggesting this would be better than using an AVR?

We dont really use that much HD material, but watch a few divx films, tv and music. Was hoping to achieve better results than investing in an AVR 400 for what i need

ianmacd

An A90 or A32 (probably A85 too) will sound better on 2ch than a 300 or 350 will. Don't get me wrong, for 2ch the 300 & 350 are very good and will still blow most AV amps out the water today but if you are looking for even better performance, they will still be bettered by a 2ch integrated. The Arcam intergrated has the option to be put into processor more that basically turns it into a power amp for when you want to use the 300 or 350 then back to normal when you are using just CD's or whatever 2ch analog source.

As with everything, you need to listen yourself to see if the improvment is worh the money to you.

keelby1

Problem there is, I'm after buying a second hand package, so an audition is going to be difficult.
Owned an AVR 300 in the past and was happy with sound without an additional power amp so I'm going to see the benefit with the extra power.
Next stage is what cd/DVD player to get

Thanks for the help

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Although you asked about amplification, I feel it important to point out that in most systems it's the speakers that are the weakest point, often by a huge amount. Before rushing out to improve your already decent amplification, you may like to identify your speakers and request an opinion on what we feel the the optimal target of your spending might be.

neo_2009

Mark, when comparing the Arcam AVR 350 and the Monitor audio RS package, which is the weakest link, the amp or the speakers?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Mark, when comparing the Arcam AVR 350 and the Monitor audio RS package, which is the weakest link, the amp or the speakers?
Is this the RS1 AV or the RS6 AV package? The difference is the front stereo speakers and the OP's question concerns their power amplification in a music context.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I've actually got a pair of Monitor Audio RX6's for my front 2 channels
I'd have thought the RX6 and AVR350 to be a good match and concur with ianmacd's suggestion for improving stereo music performance. However, since you have indicated a need to address the CD / DVD player(s), I suggest you spend your hard-earned cash addressing the source(s).

For neo_2009, I'd say upgrading the speakers would yield greater benefit, but of course, that's only considering the amp and speakers, not the full setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom