Interference with NTL STB and 2nd TV

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Jasonjo, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Hi All, after a bit of help...

I use NTL cable (ex C&W area) and connect from the STB to my lounge TV via scart. All is well...

Recently, I have added a portable TV to the bedroom and connected this up to the coax cabling in my house going to the roof aerial- this worked fine and gave my channles 1-4 for the bedroom.

As NTL can also be passed by RF, I connected the STB RF output to the coax cabling in the house and hey presto - NTL in the bedroom

HOWEVER I get a vertical ghosted white bar about 1inch wide scrolling horizontally across the screen - I have tried a signal booster but still get the ghost line...

If I disconnect the roof aerial from the cabling the NTL RF picture is fine - but then I lose channels 1-4 in the bedroom...(unless I use NTL and IR senders for changing NTL channels)

Any ideas of how to get both channles 1-4 and NTL in the bedroom via RF???

Cheers

JJ

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't say how you "connected this up" but you can't just use a "Y" splitter.

You should draw up a band plan to list the UHF channel numbers of the programmes you want to watch, plus the UHF channel number used by the cable TV box.

Then set the latter to an unused channel that won't intefere with any other channels. Ideally you then connect it by using a Diplexer, just as if you were connecting a second aerial.

If this makes no sense I would recommend "Piping TV Around the House" which you can download from here. It's a complex subject but I found this book explains it in fairly easy terms.

Best of luck!

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks for the reply...

yeah - used a simple Y splitter :blush:

I will investigate the Diplexer route and get the book if I get stuck!!!

Cheers

JJ

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
  5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks for all the replies, got this sorted now...

I found how to get into the NTL STB engineers menu (hold up and down on the STB while turning on) and set the output RF channel to be 62 and not 52 (after checking that 62 was not used in my area)

Retuned the TV upstairs to channel 62 and WOW!!! cool picture with NO interference...

JJ