1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interference waves when computer is on

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by amorenod, May 15, 2003.

1. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Every time I switch on the PC, some interferences appears on the TV screen. Until now, this was no biggie (working with the computer and listening to the TV).

But now the computer is another AV source thanks to a TV-out card and, while the S-video output is good, the interferences are there.

I know is not a lead problem, the interferences were there before, and I tried a power stabilizer on the PC and the TV without results (both are connected to the same power line, no other available in the room).

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    It could be RF radiation - all sorts of frequencies are generated within the PC from a few 100 KHz up to 2 GHz plus (& also thier harmonics).
    OTOH it could be radiated by a lead connected to the PC & likewise any of the leads connected to your TV may be acting as a receive antenna.
    I would suggest a process of elimination by unplugging in turn firstly all the leads connected to the TV (including loudspeaker wires) to see if any particular connection(s) is the means of pickup.
    Similarly, you should perform the same sort of elimination process with various leads connected to the PC (USB, serial, mouse, monitor etc. )
    You may then be able to cure any offender using ferrite rings, more heavily-screened replacement leads, different length replacements (which will have a different wavelength/resonant frequency) etc.

You could also (temporarily) screen the PC itself by simply wrapping aluminium foil around it to see the effect - try both connecting this to the PC chassis (properly earthed faraday shield) for best effect but 1st try without.

Report back when done.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks a lot.

I will report the results as soon as possible.

Bye

4. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    First test results:

-Unplugging everything from the PC, no success

I'll try the TV connections this weekend (furniture to move)

Bye