1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interference problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gooner265, Apr 29, 2003.

1. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've just purchased the new sony 36" and am very happy with it.I have an interference problem when watching videos I can hear the sky channel sound interfering.I have a monster scart from dvd to tv as its rgb but normal scart video to tv and sky yo tv and no scart video to sky .
    Any ideas what the problem is cheers and is it necesary to have a scart from video to sky as well .

2. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    We have had 2 FS76 36" SONY sets and they both have this problem. It is the sound from the previous channel you were on you are hearing. Switch to a untuned channel before switching to video to solve it.

3. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem. I have my Video>Teleworst Cable Box>DVD daisy chained into one scart socket. To rectify the problem I simply switch the cable box into standby.

4. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is a problem if you are watching sky in another room while someone is watching the video channel.:(

5. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fellow Goon

Howazabout you buy another video for the other room. You can pick VCR's for next to nothing these days. Then you can watch Sky on the main tele and video on the other one?

6. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Using quality scart leads that have individual screening on the audio and video connections will usually solve this problem..so possibly improving all scart leads will help.

Another cheap fix is this:

In the scart plug that goes into the TV, dismantle the plug, locate the wires that connects to pin 1 and pin 3 and pin 19 - cut these 3 wires, tape them up individually to stop them touching other connections, reassemble the plug and try it out.

Basically, the TV scart socket(s) output audio and video at all times. This output signal is usually the audio and video received from the analogue tuner (BBC, ITV, CH4 and CH5).. some scarts can outout from another scart for loopthrough / copying. This outputted signal can get picked up inside the scart cable and the outgoing signals get picked up on the INcoming signals... so you're picking up cross talk within the cable.

Anyhow, when you cut the 3 wires as described, you're making your scart lead into a 1 way only lead, it'll only allow signals IN to the TV scart and should remove cross talk problems.....

Make sure you know which pin is which otherwise you might ruin a good cable!

scart connections:
    Pin 1 Audio Right (out)
    Pin 2 Audio Right (in)
    Pin 3 Audio Left (out)
    Pin 4 Audio Return (Analog Ground)
    Pin 5 Blue Return (Analog Ground)
    Pin 6 Audio Left (in)
    Pin 7 Blue
    Pin 8 Status / 16:9 Widescreen
    Pin 9 Green Return (Analog Ground)
    Pin 10 N/C
    Pin 11 Green
    Pin 12 N/C
    Pin 13 Red Return (Analog Ground)
    Pin 14 Fast Blanking Return
    Pin 15 Red / Chrominance
    Pin 16 Fast Blanking RGB
    Pin 17 Composite Video (out) Return
    Pin 18 Composite Video (in) Return
    Pin 19 Composite Video (out)
    Pin 20 Composite Video / Luminance (in)
    Pin 21 Common Return

7. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    It must be the sockets not screened enough then. The SCART was £40 so it must be half decent!

8. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes, you would assume a £40 scart lead would be sufficiently screened wouldn't you!

It does sound like an internal socket screening problem... but have you tried modding an old scart lead as I mentioned above just to see if there's any improvement? (obviously only hack a cheapo scart lead!)

9. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    We got our third FS76 today. The left of the screen was REALLY blurry but I found a setting that made either the left or right side softer or sharper alternately. It was set more sharp to the right so the left was soft!

I also spent 2 hours getting the convergence right with only the ntl menus and a red dot in a white circle at the top and bottom of the screen! The picture looks very clean now, but there is some ghosting in the menus through RGB????

I haven't listened for the interference yet.