interference on speakers when fast fwd on virgin box

kwack1969

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

INstalled a new av receiver and surround speakers and have noticed that when you fast fwd a recorded program you get a slight click npise through the speakers

Checked all connection s and they are all fine. Doesnt happen when playing dvd or fast fwd these.

Its connected thru hdmi. Tried optical as well and still the same

ANy ideas I dont think it the av receiver as it is fine the rest of the time

Anyone else have this with a virgin bix
Cheers
Kwack

It's normal really with some AV Amps. as you fast forward or rewind the encoded signal is cut off, some AV Amps. have relays which click off when the signal disappears :)

It's normal really with some AV Amps. as you fast forward or rewind the encoded signal is cut off, some AV Amps. have relays which click off when the signal disappears :)

I've three AV receivers all made by different manufacturers and not one of them displays this kind of behaviour. I'd have to say that it is an abnormal occurrence and the speakers should remain silent while you are fast forwarding. If it were a relay then the click would emanate from the receiver itself and not the speakers.

I guess the only way to resolve this is to get an engineer out and try your setup with a different box? In my mind it shouldn't be doing it.

By the way, what AV receiver are you using?

Is it a continual clicking or is it a single click as you start fast forwarding?

Last edited:
Hi

THe receiver is a yamaha rxv373 about 2weeks old. The noise is not really a clicking noise but more a tick type noise which comes from the speakers when in fwd mode. It doesn't come from the receiver

Checked all speaker connections. Changed the audio so it outputs from a toslink and still the same issue

At a bit of a loss really as richer sounds said it iant receiver or speakers yet when I disconnect it completely and just run it thru the tv it is fine

Any other checks I could do?

Cheers
Kwaxk

Actually I have a 2nd box in another room which I will connect up to discount or not issues with the virgin box. Connected it up which is an old style box and no clicking from speakers on fwd. Switch back to new style box and it click. I turned off the sound when you press buttons but still a slight click thru speakers. The clicking is upon each press of the fwd button.

Other than a faulty box, get a new or live with it. I dont know what else to do. I think I have discounted the receiver which was my main concern

Kwack

Are we talking about the FF or the SKIP forward button? I get a audible click in relation to the SKIP forward button on each press, but this is to be expect if the option to have such sounds is set to on from within my TiVo's audio settings.

My previous Onkyo 875 used to do it when the source was changed or in ff or rewind its like the surround processor is trying to identify what signal it needs to adjust to. That said it does not do it with my Yamaha rev 671

My previous Onkyo 875 used to do it when the source was changed or in ff or rewind its like the surround processor is trying to identify what signal it needs to adjust to. That said it does not do it with my Yamaha rev 671

My receivers switch relays in relation to the type of audio being received, but not in relation to the fast forward button. Also, as I previouslly stated, the switching occurs within the receiver and isn't audible via the speakers.

It is when I press the FF button on the Tivo box. It can FF in 3 increments. I did turn off the Tivo beep noise so it is silent when you press the button but still hear this slight tick upon each press through the speakers

Stupid thing is a bit intermittent, mainly on the 2nd/3rd button press you hear the noise. Its like a static type noise.

Maybe worrying about nothing - everything else seems to work fine and it was probably there before on my old system but never noticed it as the speakers and Amp were pretty poor.

Like I said when i hooked up the old Virgin HD+ box and pressed the FF button I didnt get any ticking through the speakers so can only assume that there is something funny going on with the Tivo

Cheers for all the replies
Kwack

It is when I press the FF button on the Tivo box. It can FF in 3 increments. I did turn off the Tivo beep noise so it is silent when you press the button but still hear this slight tick upon each press through the speakers

Stupid thing is a bit intermittent, mainly on the 2nd/3rd button press you hear the noise. Its like a static type noise.

Maybe worrying about nothing - everything else seems to work fine and it was probably there before on my old system but never noticed it as the speakers and Amp were pretty poor.

Like I said when i hooked up the old Virgin HD+ box and pressed the FF button I didnt get any ticking through the speakers so can only assume that there is something funny going on with the Tivo

Cheers for all the replies
Kwack

I'd call VM and have them send someone out. It doesn't cost you anything and in my mind it shouldn't be doing it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom