1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interference on new tv...please help!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ScorchedSoul, Mar 14, 2003.

1. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a new panasonic 32pl4, and am impressed with the tv but can't enjoy it because of this damn interference which comes up on my sky box! :mad:
    It's like there badreception, but it isn't pixelating or anything, its more like the kind of interference you get while watching normal analogue tv.
    Its not the tv as it only happens with sky.
    The thing is, on the end of the cable which runs from the dish to the box, there are some copper wires sticking out from the connecter. Could this be the problem? Or could the box need servicing? I have had the box for just over a year.

I never noticed it on my old tv, but that could be because the new tv has a much clearer picture and just shows it more obviously.

Is it possible i did something when i tranfered the box to the new tv?
    BTw it is a grundig box, in the menu it says model no. 2.41b

I really help some one can help!:(

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It sounds as if it may be RF interference.Have you tried adjusting the output frequency for an improvment ?

3. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do i do that? My skychannel is av1, i can't change that if i want to use scart can i?

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Some recievers have ajustment possible by inserting a small driver into a screwhead accessible from the rear pannel. I would suggest calling $ly and they may talk you through a procedure to alter this from the handset ( prob from the engineers menu ).

5. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a grundig model, do you know if those ones have what you are talking about?

Do i just turn the screwhead to adjust?

What abou the copper wires sticking out, could it be that?

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Sorry, i'm not familiar with the Grundig.Try asking $ly for advice on the problem.I don't want to encourage you into doing somthing which may make your situation worse as i don't know what ajustment is available on your reciever however if you wish to try it ...go slowly and a little at a time. :)

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The copper wires are fine but from your description you are actually watching SKY via the RF connection and NOT via Scart. In which case either press the appropriate button to get it via Scart or else use the secret service menu in the Sky Digibox to change the RF output channel then retune the TV. Normally it's 68 but whatever it is, it's sitting smack on top of a digital Freview channel, which will make the picture very grainy.

If you still insist that it's connected via Scart, remove all RF connections from the Digibox. Is the picture still grainy?

See this page for RF output channel change:-
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/digifaq2.htm#uhftune
    (It's a big file so wait for it to load).

Fman

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    From the setup menu, try keying 4,0,1 quickly and then select.What does that bring up ?

9. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have removed all the connection except the scart, it was one of the first things i did.
    Besides i am watching the sky channels through av1 on rgb.
    And yes, the picture is still grainy with only the scart cable connected.

lynx, changing the channel from 68 makes absolutely no difference at all. i changed it to a few different channels with no avail.

Perhaps one of the other options, in the installer menu, may cure the problem?

10. CatDog

CatDog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you getting ghosting from other channels ? In particular when the credits roll? If so, and you're connected via scart it could be Pin19 feeding back the tv signal to the digibox.

I had this problem for years before removing the pin - no interference anymore !

11. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not ghosting. It is sort of like grainy shimmering lines across the tv, similar to the interference you would get on analogue tv.

Its the same all the time.

Like i said, i don't get it on videos, dvd's, my playstation or analogue tv, which has lead me to think it may be something to do with sky.

Could changing something in the installers menu possibly help, maybe be re-calibrated or something like that?

12. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, if it's connected only via Scart, that eliminates all discussion of UHF channels or interference.

So my guess is this:

1. You have selected RGB in the menu but plugged it into (say) AV2 on the TV which doesn't support RGB.

2. Your TV set is incompatible with Sky Digiboxes (did you ask before you bought it?)

There's a TV survey here:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tvs.htm

13. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well on satcure, the rgb picture for the 28pl4 is listed as being bad, so i'm guessing that would be the same for the 32 inch version.

But the thing is, the actual picture seems to be good, except for the interference. The tv can't be the cause of this can it?

I'll hook up my dvd via rgb and report back.

BTW - Thanx for all your help so far guys. :)

14. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    scorcedsoul,

This sounds similar to a problem I had on my panasonic when specifically using RGB with certain devices. Can you try disabling RGB when using the scart - does the interference go away? If so, you can try looking at the following URL's and see whether this applies to your TV

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q...lm=TqwC4.2988$Eq.52568@nnrp4.clara.net&rnum=1

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q...lm=t9du2rf1jc5r4b@corp.supernews.co.uk&rnum=1

I did the above when I got interference problems with my new denon 3800 and using the service menu setting elimited the interference...

HTH

JJ

15. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd nip down to tesco and buy a cheap scart lead then try cutting everything apart from the composite, L, R, and comp and see if that fixes it. At least you know where you stand then. Do you get a picture using RF only? If so does it show the same interference pattern?

Gaz
    -x-

16. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i buy a cheap scart, how do i cut the appropriate wires?
    Do i use pliers to pull out the pins, or do i have to cut the actual wires?
    Can someone explain exactly how to do it, and what wires are what?

17. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    scoredsoul...did you look at the links with a view to the DVCO setting in the service menu???

This is quick an easy to try first before worrying about buying new scart leads...and is probably the cause or RGB interference

JJ

18. ScorchedSoul

ScorchedSoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did that dvco thing, and it made no difference. Before it was on 007, it re-calibrated itself to 003 but it didn't show any improvement on the picture.

19. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use fine pointed wire cutters.

Connections listed on the Scart page here:-
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech