1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interference on DVI lead

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by temp649, Jun 29, 2005.

1. temp649

temp649

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using a Belkin Pro 3m DVI lead to connect my PC (Radeon 9800Pro) to a Viewsonic VP171 LCD monitor. I think it's dual-link, but I don't have the spec to hand.

It connects the two together far more easily than the old 1.8m lead that was barely long enough, but after a while red "sparklies" tend to appear on screen. I can get rid of them by reselecting the monitor's input (don't know why this works) but it's a pain.

Can anyone recommend me a lead upgrade that should fix the problem? I noticed that Lindy leads seem to be well thought of hereabouts, but the nearest size I could find at tvcables.co.uk was 5m. And it seems a bit strange to be changing to a longer lead when trying to solve this problem!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    temp649

Its most likely your on a Single Link connection - very few Graphic Cards and Monitors are designed for Dual Link.

We've supplied a fair few corporate customers with a selection of DVI cables to test in various applications and our BetterCables Display Magic cables are consistently the cables they choose to order - for long and short cable runs.

It might be worth adjusting your resolution and timings with your current cable to find out if your exceeding its capabilities.

Best regards

Joe

3. temp649

temp649

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the advice Joe.

I checked the spec on the cable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000067RM2/026-8239705-4655631

It is dual link, and should be well within my operating parameters (1280x1024, 32 bit colour, 60 Hz). Unless of course they sent me the wrong thing... not sure how I could check that at this stage.

I will think about the cables you recommend, though from 12 quid to 80 is a bit of a jump, to say the least.

Cheers,

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    temp649

Our cables are supplied on Sale or Return - you simply cover the carriage costs should you decide its not for you; mind you be prepared to fork out the extra cash as we don't get too many sent back.

Joe

PS Your cable may be Dual Link but your Graphics Card and Monitor are single link so your only using 50% of the cable :)

5. temp649

temp649

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

Thanks for the clarification re dual link - I got quite the wrong end of the stick there! I see your point now.

6. Chaucer

Chaucer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Something to bear in mind, is that not all outputs from graphics cards are equal. I mean that some are more stable - jitter free - than others. I would be interested to hear if you still had the same degree of "interference" if you tried a lower resolution output from your card.

Also using Kramer DVI cables, we have pushed an SXGA signal up to 65' and a UXGA signal up to 50'

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/cables/item.asp?desc=15

7. temp649

temp649

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chaucer.

To update, I discovered that Lindy sell direct on the web, and bought a 3m cable from them at a very reasonable price.

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/41241/index.php

This seems to have solved the RFI problem, and I think the picture is slightly crisper to boot. Maybe my Belkin lead was a bad apple. Thanks to Joe for his comments too.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello temp649

Good that you got sorted - though you should try one of our BetterCables cables; your signal will be even sharper :)

Best regards

Joe