Interference (i think) - please help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by COUGHCOUGH, Feb 2, 2009.

1. COUGHCOUGH

COUGHCOUGH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a samsung 50" plasma and recently I have noticed faint scrolling lines on dark images no matter what source is being used. I assume this is interference so I have tried a number of things to try and source it. Despite turning off all other appliances in the near vicinity, the scrolling lines still stay.

The only thing I can find that has some effect on it is by disconnecting the scart from my cable box. This actually makes the problem worse though as instead of around 4 inches between each of the scrolling bars, the amount of lines increase and there's a line every 1 inch instead which is far more noticable.

I have tried replacing the scart cable which make no difference but strangely enough even if I turn my cable box off completely (and remove the coax cable it is fed by) the lines still stay leading me to think they are not caused by the box at all.

Can anyone help? :lease:

2. alffjeld

alffjeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    do you have an coax-antennacable plugged in to the screen?
    if you remove the scart from the tv, is it still there?

3. COUGHCOUGH

COUGHCOUGH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Nope no antenna at all. The only thing like that is the cable box feed which seems to have no effect at all as the lines are still there even if I disconnect it where it enters my property.

Same with the scart. If I remove it the lines get worse. Thats just with the vga pc input going into my tv and nothing else. If I just have the scart and no vga, same thing (although the lines are spaced further apart as the scart is in)

The tv is on a glass stand if that makes any difference. I also have the plastic connector things on either end of my power cable (the things that were supplied with the tv to cut out interference or whatever), but removing these does nothing either.

i have also tried unplugging my tv for hours on end just incase of some sort of static build up or whatever. hasn't made any difference though.

4. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The fact that you can affect the on-screen pattern by unplugging things etc does point to external interference.

Have you tried a different mains power wall socket, or just untwisting the mains cable from any other mains cables etc, as they are often end up a spidersweb. Mains cable interference can be picked up by SCART and also Coax (if you have a coax freeview input). I wouldn't expect any interference to be picked up over HDMI.

5. COUGHCOUGH

COUGHCOUGH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All i use is a scart from my cable box and a vga cable from my pc.

I haven't tried a different wall socket but I'll give it a go as soon as I get home. I also haven't tried untangling a nearby extention lead as if I switch off the power to it the lines still stay so I already ruled it out. I will give it a go just in case.

The only other wires that are there are from my amp to my speakers (which are bi-wired). Again, I have turned the av receiver off and the lines could still be seen, so assumed this was all ok. Should I do further checks into this? I have tried positioning my floorstanders further away too (now about 1m either side) but again that made no difference.

Thanks for the replies btw