interferance on projector screen from all sources

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by paulcharlier, Mar 11, 2006.

1. paulcharlier

paulcharlier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

before I start I hoping this is the place to be with questions about AV :)

Okay right, first off I'll describe the setup we have:

Toshiba 3377DB Television
    Panasonic NV-SV121EB S-VHS Video recorder
    Sony VTX-S760U Digital TV Box (Sky)
    Toshiba DVD SD-500E
    Goodmans GHC56 Pro Audio Amplifier
    Acer PD-116 DLP Projector

Okay the setup is as follows:

Toshiba TV + Sony Digital Box are plugged into Panasonic VCR for output to projector.
    DVD player is setup for connection to projector.

To enable switching between the two sources we have a AV switcher box, I am not sure of

the make, but we purchase it from Maplins with a model number L63AB Audio/Video Source

Selector. From the AV switcher it connects directly up to the projector.

In terms of cabling, we have an S-video output from the VCR to provide picture on the

projector for Analogue TV, Digital TV and normal VHS tapes. The DVD player also has an

S-video output to the AV switcher, from there it connects up to the projector.

Okay now the problem, when viewing ALL the sources on the projector we get a strange

kind of interferance on the picture, the best way I can describe it is that it has

diagonal converging lines, which seem to dissapear when there is pure white, but with

any other colour the lines are apparent.

When trying to remedy the situation we connected the VCR directly up to the projector

with a Composite video cable, this still did not remedy the problem. So from what I can

tell is that the problem lies where all the equipment is installed.

But to help desribe the symptoms and problem better I have recorded a small video

showing the lines, you can download it from here:

www.paulcharlier.com/interferance.mpg

The file is approximately 10mb.

Also I have taken a few photos of the setup, the locations and hopefully give an

impression of the lengths of cable used.

www.paulcharlier.com/projector/1.jpg
    www.paulcharlier.com/projector/2.jpg
    www.paulcharlier.com/projector/3.jpg

I hope this is enough information about the setup we have,

thanks in advance for any help given, I really hope we can find an answer to our problems,

thanks,

Paul :)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, this is not going to be the source of your problem, but your equipment has way too little ventilation ! Don't be surprised if your boxes don't die within the year.

I couldn't get the video to work, but what happens when you take the VCR completely out of the equation ?

3. paulcharlier

paulcharlier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

when you can say you couldn't get the video to work, what error is thrown up?

is it error 404?

I have just check it and all seems to be fine and working for me,

cheers,

Paul

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Just clicked on it again - worked this time. Looks like one of two possibilities to me - patterning due to poor quality cable, or maybe something happening in the projector, in the scaling process. Try connecting a DVD player directly to the pj, both with your existing s-vid cable, and with a shorter cable (you'll have to move the dvd player to do this).

5. paulcharlier

paulcharlier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick,

forgot to mention it earlier, we have also connected the dvd player using a short and quality S-video cable directly from the DVD player to the projector.

Its strange though, when looking at the picture on the television, there is no interferance,

at present I am not really sure of what to do to improve the situation :rolleyes:

Paul