1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interferance on Panny

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scottcr, Sep 4, 2003.

1. scottcr

scottcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just joined the board, got my Panny 5 from nexnix on Tuesday. Very impressed with Nexnix and very impressed with the TV... but....

I'm getting interferance on the screen of my panny 5. Basically, horizontal lines, about 3 inches apart or so, all the way from the top to the bottom.

Connecting DVD thru s-video (and cable box), I get the interferance.

Connecting DVD using RGB thru JS RGB->Svideo box, same problem.

Connecting Cable box thru JS box, same problem.

I don't have my component cables yet, and I haven't tried composite.. (yuck!) nor VGA.

If I disconnect the s-video cable, and try the TV's own white-screen test, I don't get any interferance.. so.. I'm suspecting that it's either a dodgy s-video cable, I've tried 2 tho, or perhaps a dodgy video board.

There's no cables running behind the TV, so I wouldn't expect electrical interferance, and if it was a noisy power supply I would have expected to see the interferance during the white-screen test...

any help?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    scottcr

Is the Plasma on the same mains ring as your source kit or could you have two rings in your room? - if I read your post correctly then as soon as you hook up a 'live' cable to the display you get the interference.

Also have you put the extra ferrite cores on the Plasma mains cable.

Best regards

Joe

3. scottcr

scottcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

the plasma is on the same ring and I do have ferrite around the mains cables (in fact the tv cable comes with it at both ends anyway).

Last night, tried using the VGA connection and this was perfectly fine conneting my computer straight into the plasma. No inteferance, no dithering, a very good picture indeed.

So, I'm now assuming that I've been unlucky and have 2 substandard S-video cables, or that the component board that I have may be faulty?

Do you think this is a fair assumption?

4. scottcr

scottcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a bad s-video cable.. well.. 2 to be precise... not properlly shielded.

lesson learned.

thanks.

5. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering what you meant by ferrite cores??

Just that my panny 4 deries looks amazing from upto 3 metres back on all connections but up close looks terrible??

Up close the screen mainly on dark scenes has a fuzzy interfearence to it....i was wondering if it had something to do with all my cables (power + video) going up a 3" pipe tightly together up to the term-board? ( wall mounted plasma)
    Any advice in minimising/ eliminating this fuzz would be great..
    Heres hoping

Danny-p

6. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone can answer this b.t.w

7. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds more like low quality cables to me, although if they are low quality and poorly shielded, their proximity to each other and power cables won't help.

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ferrite cores will look like cylinders clamped around your mains cable a few inches from either/both ends of the cable. You will also see them on computer VGA & DVI cables.

Do you see this interference in blacks the same no matter what the source (DVD , TV etc ) ?

9. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply's

Yeah on all sources...DVD via ixos component cables (prog scan), sky+ via s-video.... Its hard to describe but its almost like if a channel wasnt 100% tuned in correctly (tiny white speckles which stand out more on darker scenes)....If it is bad shielding then can anyone reccomend any good cables (comp + s-vid)..Thanks

Danny-p

10. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And just to add... my plasma power cable has 2 ferrite plugs...1 at each end..

11. scottcr

scottcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what you're seeing there is actually the way plasma tv's work.. if you look closely at a black/grey areas you'll see tiny dots flashing on and off etc, this isn't interferance.

from a normal viewing distance, you can't see this..

cheers

scott

12. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think scottcr is right.

i call these dancing pixels these are normal to see at under 6ft ,
    at your normal whating distance you should not see them.

you can control them a bit with the brightness/contrast , and with the gamma thingy / 2.0 -2.2 - 2.5 but i loose detail in dark scenes having this set to high.

if its any help dont adjust/tweak your plasma when you are looking from under 6ft as nothing will look right. do all adjust ments at your usuall viewing distance.

ps. can you see the little dancers when you in the menu on the little blue boxes?

13. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers lads