1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting THX article on ExtremeTech...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dvdsubtitles, May 4, 2005.

1. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Absorption and Diffusion...... :smashin:

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Excellent spot. :clap:

Informative, easy to understand and relevant to everyone. :)

4. Killahertz

Killahertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An interesting article. And useful as an introduction to some of the main acoustic principles, as they do a pretty good job of sidelining overtly technical references (notwithstanding loudspeaker dispersion and lobing, which sneaks in towards the end :D ).

Talking of sneaking in. In terms of further reference i'll have to mention my own article on the subject. It is introductory, but introductory from a technical point of view. Covering first principles, as well as the basic principles behind, and DIY design of, absorption and diffusion treatments. It includes 'Basic Room Modes Calculator' an excel-based spreadsheet that calculates axial room modes, as well as necessary treatment calculations.

http://www.apsalisbury.dsl.pipex.com/roomtreatment.zip

Further articles, of varying level, can also be found in the acoustical section of the Audioholics website, including my 'Helmholtz Resonant Absorber'.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/index.php

5. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    cool articles there also,

There were a few designs of helmholtz absorbers around a while ago, slotted wood-faced units being the one i remember, i think Topakoustic use a variation on this theme as the main absorption tool for that product, RPG had a version way back in 98, and they now use a helmholtz mount for the flutterfree product

6. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just finished reading your download there Adam, very interesting and informative!

7. Killahertz

Killahertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The slat absorber is quite popular in pro-audio circles. Especially where the chamber is heavily stuffed to widen the absorbent bandwidth. I can't comment on their practical application, but i'm wary of their functionality. Most being rectangular wooden enclosures, there's just too many caveats in the construction. A conventional throated chamber (particularly cylindrical) retains criticality of design and construction, but remove some of the other caveats. Meaning that it is a better proposal on the rare occasion that it may be suggested for domestic DIY use.

Thank you :)

8. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW - now I know why the Bose were so bad .....

Unfortunately my room is not only rectangular it is also 'L' shaped .... it will have to do as it is.