1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting thought

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paiger, Jun 28, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Sony 940 with a Sony SACD player and Ruark Contemporary R speakers. The speakers I'm happy with but the rest I will look to upgrade shortly. I aspire towards Tag and have been checking out their website. It appears that to appreciate the full quality of the system, I need all kinds of conditions (damped shelving etc.) which may not be wife friendly.

I suppose my point is, is there any point in spending £6k on gear and then feeling I'm not getting the best out of it? Why not just buy a Denon AV11SR and be done with it?

Would it make me a bad person to have a Tag set up and just have it stacked in my old wooden cabinet, hooked up with £30 phonos and QED speaker wire?

Comments from owners of high end gear welcome.

Steve

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    paiger,
    My feeling is similar, how do folks who have reached the levels of Bryston/Lexicon/Theta feel about whether the money was well spent considering Denon's AVC-A1SR is a recognised class leader.
    Can the quality of high end items justify itself in a typical U.K. home?
    Are there Tag owners who feel they could have had similar results for less outlay, if they are honest? Would they do the same again.
    Damped shelves and the like, is it genuinely beneficial, or can Sony STR-VA555ES owners sleep easy?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think alot depends on how good your own hearing is, mine is pretty crap, my missus' hearing is "pitch perfect" but even she had trouble hearing the difference between speaker cables, If you spend £20k on a system you ARE going to hear the difference, but is it the placebo effect?

Oh my god I just read that and I am starting to sound like Stuart Wright, this is bad.

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well said hd! I think I whether a TAG would be justifiable depends on if you think it makes an appreciable difference in sound quality over the others in your shortlist. It seems the A1SR is regarded as one of the best integrated amplifier for now, but for the separation of processor and amplifier alone, the TAG has a lot going for it.

Paiger, I hadn't read that part about damped shelves(!) but I used to believe that famous salesperson cliches "this is more than you need" too! In reality, this is hardly ever the case. Without the hi-end shelving cabling e.t.c. you might not get the best out of the system, but you will get a better system.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Stuart Wright would have said " but it is the placebo effect."
    Stu never questions his own opinions.
    So I'm guessing you ain't him/her, but can you suggest anywhere to buy a QED Qunex Silver Spiral 1.0m?
    :D just kidding...

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I mean. If I replaced my Sony 940 with a Denon 3802 and stuck it on the same shelf, I'm sure it would sound better, and then better still with a AV11sr. Maybe, better still with a Tag, no personal experience. Trouble is, if you spend a LOT of money on your system are you going to start feeling like everything has to be 'just so' to justify the expense? I'm sure all these amps will sound that bit better than the previous but you know what I mean. If I hada Tag set up I'm sure it would sound awesome but I would be worried that these guys had made this thing perfect and I was being like those people who buy a DVD player and watch it through a composite lead.

I AM LOSING MY MIND.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :blush: I actually use composite and my amp to switch the sources,:blush: but I used a fully wired RGB scart cable and set the DVD to RGB and could I tell the difference?
    Could I "Phuk"
    May be I'm going blind or maybe my TV isnt up to much, who knows, Saved me buying a Quattro and a load of Scart cables.