Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Interesting - Sky One on Freeview from April!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by morphman, Jan 29, 2004.

1. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds13217.html

Im now glad I kept my old ON-Digi box, as I would certainly prefer to pay £8 pm for these than have Sky.

If only they can also bring sports, we'll all be pretty happy :)

Thinking about it, it could be good for sky to syndicate "some" channels to freeview, as it then might free up some digi satellite space for HD channels. Well, you never know!!!

2. john316

john316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    bring it on. Give me Sky One, E4 and Nick Jr, and I'll dump sky and go freeview.

Save me £10 a month for 60 channels that I'm not using, and free up my dish for alternative viewing :)

4. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry it's not going to happen, there is no capacity left...people won't pay for a blocky picture for the sake of a few measly channels.

I have said before people who can't get cable in their area or are not allowed a dish the get an antenna: http://www.brymar.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Ca..._Dishes_24.html

Honesty im not worried about this atall, it's going to fail the question is will it ruin the dignity of DTT in the UK, another ITV digital fiasco would be a travesty.

ITV Digital units have all been hacked, the CAM slots have been ripped out of my Nokia, years ago, it will no longer receive pay tv.

Canal + own the rights to the software, if they did update them people would be at their own liberty to deny the download and continue to watch free channels.

The worst that can happen is Disney, Setanta Sports and More4 don't launch and we laugh at the money they have wasted on a failure.

I mean come on..they would need to set up an office to handle subscriptions, complains and quires which would be a costly thing.

Also consider promotion costs, advertisements and posters and viewer awareness.

They failed to acclaim the licences in 2002, they have since then been planning a pay 'lite' serivce..with E4 and Sky One and it has come to nothing.

They would need to go through Ofcom first, former Sky executives David Chance and Ian West says it all, money crabbing prats!

And i certainly won't be paying £8 or £10 for the service.

Honesty im not worried about this atall, it's going to fail the question is will it ruin the dignity of DTT in the UK, another ITV digital fiasco would be a travesty.

ITV Digital units have all been hacked, the CAM slots have been ripped out of my Nokia, years ago, it will no longer receive pay tv.

Canal + own the rights to the software, if they did update them people would be at their own liberty to deny the download and continue to watch free channels.

The worst that can happen is Disney, Setanta Sports and More4 don't launch and we laugh at the money they have wasted on a failure.

I mean come on..they would need to set up an office to handle subscriptions, complains and quires which would be a costly thing.

Also consider promotion costs, advertisements and posters and viewer awareness.

They failed to acclaim the licences in 2002, they have since then been planning a pay 'lite' serivce..with E4 and Sky One and it has come to nothing.

They would need to go through Ofcom first, former Sky executives David Chance and Ian West says it all, money crabbing prats!

And i certainly won't be paying £8 or £10 for the service.

5. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about bandwidth there must be a limit on how many channels they can transmit. i always thought the problem with the channel guide was down to the lack of bandwidth.
    well i can still live with the freeview service as is to be honest but you never know if its £8 i may be tempted only time will tell as long as all channels are as good a quality as they are now.

6. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seemed to be enough bandwidth for On-Digital to do it, what I can see though is the securing of the signal would be an issue.

Hacking the on-digital box was ridiculously easy , and since it's going to be the same hardware, I doubt it would be much stronger, and therefore equally as easy to break. ;). This would put them in a similar position to On-Digital where a substantial amount of revenue was lost due to hacking, as most digiboxes were bought / run with the most basic of subscription packages.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Oh well. There goes the 'Freeview' branding. After all, if you have to pay for bits of it, it's scarcely 'free' is it?

8. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not really Freeview that's changing though is it, it's an additional service which you can pay for if you want it.

You don't want it you don't pay for it, therefore Freeview remains free, and only Topup TV is charged for.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It won't happen.

Everyone would pirate the cards anyway

10. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not going to happen because the Government and Ofcom wont allow it and no doubt the BBC will object.

11. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Profiteering Gov't will see it as easy money, and allow it whilst charging a hefty "license" fee on the provider stifling further growth of the service. Just look at the impact on mobile telecoms afer the ridiculous license auction fiasco, virtually no development in 3 years.

BBC can compain all they like, they're not that popular with the Gov't at the moment, they're also not under Ofcom's umbrella so may not have a great deal of weight in that arena

Don't see why Ofcom wouldn't allow it as long as it didn't detract from the existing service and conformed to their Programme Service guidelines.

It may not happen soon, but it'll arrive in some form eventually.

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    OnD did transmit a lot more channels, but they were at a lower bandwidth than the current channels. Therefore to add all the newer ones the existing channels would loose bandwidth and therefore quality. Some people that are in boarderline reception areas would then loose the ability to receive some or all channels.

I agree, but I think there needs to be a lot more thought put into it before it does arrive. perhap they could use the additional bandwidth available once the analogue transmitions have been switched off.

Mark.

13. nic_3

nic_3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, the BBC's second mux, the one with BBC FOUR on it, is under ofcom's regulation as it's a commercial multiplex licenced under thus terms.

Nic