• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Interesting scrappage conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
My mate is interested in trading his 10 year old Alfa 156 in for a new Alfa Mito.
They have a special scrappage deal on.
However, there appears to be a waiting list for Mitos.
The scrappage deal states the car being scrapped must have a current MOT.
But my mate's 156 MOT runs out in two months....
It would be a shame for him to have to spend money on his car, just to make sure it has a current MOT when the deal goes through.
Any idea as to how he'd get around this?
Wouldn the dealer take his 156 now, pending the Mito??
Which then leaves him without transport.:confused:

Dony

Distinguished Member
How long is the waiting list for the new car?
Would the dealer be prepared to put your friend on the list and do the deal in 7 weeks (before MOT expires).
Could the dealer then give a loan car for the remainder of the waiting period?

I've no idea of the actual answer, but on first thoughts, that's how I would try and do the deal.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
He's waiting for the dealer to call back, as he wants a particular colour.
Alfa red.:cool:
I suppose it may just have to be a bit of 'give and take' on both sides.
It would be a terrible shame for have to spend £xxx on an MOT, just to satisfy the scrappage rules.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
My mum had a silmilar situation the dealer would take her car before MOT ran out as scrappage and apply scrappage to the order (discount) then if her new order doesn't arrive in time she has to make her own arrangements (my sister will be back from uni so they will be back to sharing a car if delivery is late)

Depends how difficult surviving for a few a days or weeks without a car can be and how long the dealer will offer a loan car for, If he knows anyone who could lend him some wheels in the meantime or MOT his old car surely the dealer could ask the service dept to check out his 156 and if it will pass today MOT it £40 and perhpas knock it off the new order? If its going to be ££££££ to get it through agree a loan arrangement?

HE wouldn't have to hand his in until the MOT was about to run out which will reduce the delay. But with summer shut downs looming it could be awkward if his order doesn't get on a ship before shut down.

Last edited:

supahoops

Sorry to hijack this thread but i thought it easier than creating a new one, the situation that i am hoping someone can help with is i have >10yr old car and my friend also has a >10yr old car that he is using towards the scrappage scheme to buy his new car.

As his car is in much better nic than mine im trying to work out a way of taking his car off his hands and using mine towards the scrappage scheme, other than me buying the car and then giving it to him and keeping his old car is there any other way around this situation.

The other problem with me buying the new car is that it adds an additional owner which devalues it even more, especially as he is only keeping it for 1-2yrs.

If i said to the dealer i was buying the car as a gift could they put the car in my mates name as 1st owner (from new?) even under the scrappage scheme

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hijack this thread but i thought it easier than creating a new one, the situation that i am hoping someone can help with is i have >10yr old car and my friend also has a >10yr old car that he is using towards the scrappage scheme to buy his new car.

As his car is in much better nic than mine im trying to work out a way of taking his car off his hands and using mine towards the scrappage scheme, other than me buying the car and then giving it to him and keeping his old car is there any other way around this situation.

The other problem with me buying the new car is that it adds an additional owner which devalues it even more, especially as he is only keeping it for 1-2yrs.

If i said to the dealer i was buying the car as a gift could they put the car in my mates name as 1st owner (from new?) even under the scrappage scheme

Short of you buying the new car,there is no way of doing this,as in any other way,it would be fraudulent.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom