Interesting, perhaps

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Clem_Dye, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I manually re-tuned my Panasonic PVR just now, to add Forces TV (96/Ch37) as it's showing Gerry Anderson's UFO at weekends. Anyway, the Pannie stuck it at channel 807, which wasn't an issue, but I also found BBC4HD at channel 805, as well as having the correct entry at 106 in the EPG. Poking around a bit more, the BBC4HD on 106 is on Ch37, Com78 National, whilst the BBC4HD on 805 is on Ch31, Com7. I know that the channel move is afoot at some point, but I didn't see any new entries for CH4+1HD and 4SevenHD, presumably because these are being killed-off, perhaps. TX is Bilsdale, BTW, and both BBC4HD channels are currently, as I post this message, showing the off-air message.

Clem

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,121
    BBC 4 HD/ Cbeebies is in the process of moving from COM 7 to COM 8. Currently it's on both mux . It will shortly disappear from COM 7. The capacity of COM 7 and 8 is about to be reduced as they move to a SFN (Single Frequency Network).

3. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    As I thought. I just hope that the move doesn't mess-up the recordings of Spiral on BBC4HD on Saturday evenings! The 'new' BBC4HD on 106 is flagged as being on Com78 National (or something like that), not Com8, so it will be interesting to see what ends-up where in this latest forced re-tuning that will befall us shortly .....

Clem

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    According to a516digital, the move is planned for 17/01/18 .....

Clem

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,121
    That's the retune not the move. The change took place yesterday and it's on both MUX. Check the UHF channels you are getting for BBC 4 HD against those used for COM 7 and COM 8 for your local transmitter.

6. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    As per my post, at present I can get BBC4HD on Ch31 & 37. Ch31 seems to be the current, so I guess that Ch37 is the one to go for when Ch31 gets killed-off next week.

Clem

7. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    That might actually be the wrong way round. Ch37 seems to be the current BBC4HD channel, with Ch31 the new one. In any event, if the re-tune is next week, neither channel was showing a 're-tune now' message when I checked yesterday. One to watch, no pun intended .....

Clem

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,121
    What's your local transmitter. ?

9. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Bilsdale (Tyne Tees), as per my post. I can get TV from Emley Moor (Yorkshire), but as I live at the bottom of a hill I have no clear line of sight to Emley and have to use a masthead to get all muxes. Using Bilsdale, I get decent signal strength on all muxes, and don't have to use a masthead amp.

Clem

10. warrenoates

warrenoates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Clem-keep an eye on Forces TV-they were broadcasting SGT. BILKO until Dec but I'm sure it will return again!

11. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Yes, the channel was a bit of a find. UFO is a result, but when I first started to record it, the EPG said UFO, but I got the A-Team! That serms to have been fixed now. In any event it does seem a bit of an odd programme to show, given the idea behind the channel, but hey-ho.

Clem

12. warrenoates

warrenoates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    UFO is on twice over each weekend

13. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Yes. PVR set-up ready!

Clem

14. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,121
    Com 8 is UHF 37, so your guess is correct,

15. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    So, looking here, Coverage Checker - Detailed View , it spells-out what's going on, and my guess is that BBC4HD will disappear from Ch31/Com7 on 07/02/18. It also looks like that from March, there will be a power drop on Com8, so from that point onwards BBC4HD may be a no-go on Freeview for me, which will be annoying, and things may not improve until the tail-end of 2019. Thank heavens I have wideband aerials fitted though.

Clem

16. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I'm getting myself confused here. Both my Sony HD TVs have BBC4HD on Ch37/602Mhz. My Panasonic PVR has it on Ch31/554Mhz and Ch37/602Mhz and is set to record Spiral from Ch31 at present. Are my TVs clever enough to have moved the BBC4HD tuning to Ch37 automatically, I wonder, leaving me with just the PVR to manually re-tune at some point? If what @grahamlthompson is stating is correct, and Com7 is on the way out, then the PVR is recording, in effect, the wrong mux. The Panasonic is a pretty braindead device though, because if I set-up a new recording for the same programme but from a new channel, it will spilt the recordings in the library, so that the expected 12 episodes of Spiral will be in two entries, which is less than ideal, and I can see no way to merge them. Sigh. I just hope that the DigitalUK website data is correct, because if it is, Spiral should finish the weekend before the re-tune, if BBC4 sticks to two episodes at a time. As for future BBC4HD stuff, looks like it'll be Freesat or nasty low-res iPlayer.

Clem

17. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    What I find galling is that Freeview has a dearth of HD channels as it is, and this frequency clearing will result in even fewer for many viewers, me included. Loosing C4+1HD, 4SevenHD and BBC4HD will be a pain. In my case, I should still be able to get BBC4HD on Freesat, but for those who can't get/have satellite it's a PITA. To get access to HD content we're effectively being forced to subscribe to Sky or Virgin, if you can, if the likes of Netflix and Amazon don't do it for you. It wouldn't be so bad if the catch-up services like iPlayer, All4 and NowTV offered HD picture quality and multichannel audio, but they don't. Still, we're only viewers/customers, so in the scheme of things we're at the bottom of the heap .....

Clem

18. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,121
    COM 7 isn't on the way out. Just BBC 4 HD is being removed as future changes will reduce the MUX capacity.

19. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    No, sure, but looking at the expected reception for Bilsdale at least come March, Com8 is probably going to disappear for a lot of people served by the transmitter. If you can't receive the frequency then the continued existence of the mux is a moot point.

Clem

20. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,121

Just checked a random Middlesbrough postcode. COM 7 and 8 don't change frequencies till late 2019. They move to UHF 56 and 57 which might be out of band if you have a group A aerial. They are due due to close around 2020 anyway.

21. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Aerial (re)alignment doesn't help that much, because Emley Moor won't have the mux for long, and although I can get some stuff from Belmont, it's pretty much fringe where I am. I might be lucky and keep Com8 as a usable service. I guess it depends on the revised tx output and coverage. Still, only a couple of months to wait and find out!

Clem

22. Ensor

Ensor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Yes, they messed up the other weekend and showed the A-Team in UFOs place.

I've got them all on DVD though... :D

23. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Stupid Panasonic PVR. In order to avoid having the Spiral recordings ending up in two folders, I didn't bother updating the channel list. Well, the PVR sorted that out for me by not bothering to record anything, even though channel 805 is valid. Nice one, piece of junk. Anyway, a channel update now puts BBC4HD on ch37, so it does look like my Sony TVs were smart enough to move BBC4HD to ch37 without me having to intervene. I'd like to replace the Panasonic PVR with a Humax 5000, but for all its failings, the Panasonic does play nicely with HDMI routing through my Yamaha soundbar, even when it's in standby, but Humax HDMI just doesn't work when connected that way, based on my testing using my Humax Freesat kit. Just why that might be I have no idea, because Humax kit connected directly to my Sony TVs does work,waking them up from standby and switching to the correct HDMI input. Nothing is ever straightfoward, it seems. Sigh.

Clem

24. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Is the move of BBC4HD from COM7 to COM8 happening everywhere or just on some transmitters?

I get a pretty decent signal for the COM7 channels from Belmont but I’ve just taken a look at COM8 (CH35 586MHz) and the signal quality is rubbish. Got a horrible feeling I’m going to have issues with BBC4HD and CBeebiesHD, two of the most watched channels in my house, in a few weeks.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  25. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I think that the link that I posted gives clues in the dates listed. I'm expecting issues in March, based on the information shown for Bilsdale. Time to get Freesat, perhaps.

Clem

26. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    That site is showing a "Reception Change" event for Belmont on the 7th of March but no indication of what that might be.

When I search against my postcode, the coverage checker suggests I should get a good signal for the COM8 mux (should be as good as COM7). Would it be worth me getting someone out to check the aerial to see if it's the right type/correctly aligned for the COM8 mux? This might be a daft question - I have no idea whether the muxes differ in the way they are transmitted/received.

I've got Sky, so watching the channels won't really be a problem, but I also have a Panasonic Freeview Blu-ray recorder and like to record and then burn some programmes to Blu-ray. This is what I fear I might lose the ability to do. Unfortunately Panasonic no longer make Blu-ray recorders with Freesat tuners so I'm reliant on Freeview for this.

27. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    If you have a wideband aerial installed you might be OK. When I look at my predicted coverage (see the link above) it looks very much like that come March, I'll loose all the channels carried on Com8, including BBC4HD, and I'm pretty annoyed about that. Had the channel stayed on Com7, where it also is at present, I would have been OK. Your location differs to mine, but without you posting your coverage preditions it's hard to say what'll happen. I find it puzzling that the channel isn't on the BBC B HD mux, but that could be down to capacity issues I suppose. What I find galling is the removal of a current service without even a whiff of an apology from anyone. As the BBC is a PSB, I would have expected to be able to get the full compliment of services nationally. I suppose the argument goes that BBC4SD will be available, so there you go, nevermind the massive drop in picture and sound quality. Thanks, BBC.

Clem

28. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    This is the coverage prediction for my house from that site:
    upload_2018-1-14_11-32-40.png
    If I am reading this correctly then I should be able to get a decent COM8 signal? Checking the signal condition function on my Blu-ray recorder, however, the COM8 channels are much worse than the COM7 ones and I suspect the merest whiff of bad weather would wipe them out totally.

You seem to be a worse spot than me though if the coverage prediction for Bilsdale from the 7th of March onward is accurate. I agree with you that is is very frustrating that messing about with the transmissions like this is likely to lead to a lot of people losing the HD versions of some BBC channels. I was considering cancelling Sky, as I tend to only watch channels which are FTA anyway, but I might need to rethink now.

29. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    That prediction looks fine, so if you are having issues with Com8 then either the prediction (because that's what it is) is wrong for your location or you have an issue with your TV aerial perhaps. It might be worth getting a decent local TV aerial installer to take a look, but before you do, check that all of your connections are sound and make sure that you don't have power or HDMI cables near your aerial cables, as that can sometimes cause issues that can affect just one mux.

Clem

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  30. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    Useful thread as I had not noticed Forces TV.
    Main TV had auto updated but bedroom TV (Currys/JVC - Vestel) had not.
    I had to unplug aerial , tell it to "clear all channels and perform digital scan" and then insert aerial and scan digital once more.
    This cleaned up all channels from Winter Hill and brought all up to date.