1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting conversation re: Hi Def

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Had a very interesting conversation today with a friend who works for Philips LG. We got talking about connectivity i.e. HDMI, DVI or the lack of it on some manufacturers flat panels. He says that whilst Philips offer this connectivity, there is a great deal of scepticism from a lot of manufacturers that Hi Def programming will take off, at least in the short term in the UK. They are of the opinion that customers of Sky are getting to a price point where they are no longer prepared to pay more money for extra services such as Hi Def. They accept that the film buffs amongst Sky’s subscription base will want the service, but think this only equates to a tiny proportion of Sky customers. To back up this argument they point to the fact that sales of Sky+ only represent a small percentage of Sky customers and yet that is seen as a more desirable “must have” product. When I asked him what they, meaning the manufacturers mean when they say “in the short term” he said they estimate we are a decade away from mass market take up of Hi Def programming, which they say does not necessarily mean Sky Digital, this is why they are not falling over themselves to include HDMI DVI ports. Now before anyone jumps down my neck saying this is rubbish, I am just reporting a conversation, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    actually seems to make a lot of sense.

Joe public, neither has the equipment to see HD material and is not really aware of it.
    Think of the house holds across the country that dont even have widescreen tvs, let alone ones that are HD compatable.

Yes sky are going to offer the service soon, yes theres no question that it is the way forward, but serioussly, its years away before hi def tv is the industry standard.

3. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Strange reasoning from your friend (or Philips)!
    If the panel is actually capable of HD-resolution an HDMI connector is a small addition to the spec. Even if HDTV takes a while to become commonplace HD-DVD in one form or another will soon be with us. A lot of people will be p-ssed off when it turns out that theier new flat panels don't accept a maximum quality connection from the new HD-DVD players. (Or Sky)

But he is right, of course, insofar that people have more money than sense, purchasing dumbed-down products for the Euro-zone. (Or, even, UK)

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I suppose the manufacturers can observe HD take up in the USA, Japan and Oz. There is no reason to believe the UK will be much different, depending, of course, on comparitive pricing. I expect it'll be a slow start, and I expect the 10 year estimate is about right....no surprise there.

We've got to start somewhere......progress, progress, progress....

Jimmy

5. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is one big reason: PAL 625 line picture quality is much better than NTSC 525 line.
    So, while HD is better than PAL, it will be more difficult to convince a PAL public to pay lots of money for a better picture than it is for the NTSC public.

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    True,true,true....

Jimmy

7. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree in that it will be a while before take up will reach mass status but I disagree with the manufacturers in waiting... when most people buy a tv its to try and make it last as long as possible, of all appliances in the house the tv is up there with the fridge and washing machine in length of ownership so if they are not the one to make the move first then a lot of people will be happy with what they have... chicken and egg scenario...

8. KennyMo

KennyMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some people don't even have sky digital at the moment.

i for one will not be using the HDTV service from sky next year.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    From now onwards it's likely that more and more folk will be buying HD compatible products (even without knowing it). By this tim enext year I suspect it'll be hard to not buy a new TV that is HD compatible.

When Sky roll out their HD service I suspect they will know exactly who their core base of HD likely subscribers are and I don't think it's film viewers....I'd think it's going to be Football viewers. Once the man in the street sees 720P recorded football played back he's not going to find it hard to notice the difference over PAL's meagre 576i. Provided of course that Sky do record in progressive and playback same way as they have stated they intend to.

Obviously it's not going to take off hugely overnight but as old boxes get replaced and new customers appear I think that the HD option is going to be taken up. I'm not as much a pessimist as the Philips guys appear to be.

Gordon

10. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +852
    I think what will hold back the take up of HD services here in the UK is that the equipment and service will cost in £'s here what is does in $'s in the US - in other words, rip-off Britain will be the biggest deterrent to mass take up - time will tell.

Cheers,

Martin.

11. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I believe the real reason has to do with spending power. The europeans are over-taxed and can't afford the same upgrade cycle as the north americans. Also europe is more state-governed, which stops many private media initiatives.

12. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I reckon thats it Sony & their PS3 that will be the ones to start the snowball for mass HDTV takeup ? You'll hopefully see them connected to LCD's & HD Plasmas in every Comets & Dixons in the land running GT5 or MGS 4!

:rolleyes:

13. chienmort

chienmort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take it from me that from August 2005 ALL Premiership games on SKY will be produced in Hi Def and down converted for the normal viewer.

They will launch early 2006 and so all movies (35mm is hi def) and the premiership PLUS the World Cup will be hi def.

More to come but have not got time at the mo! :thumbsup:

14. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here in the Netherlands we have plenty of private media initiatives.
    However, what that brings us is worse picture quality.

Private media companies think only about making money. Every move they make is motivated by increase of profit. Programmes are only the fillers between commercial blocks.
    They do market research. When they find no more people watch their commercial blocks when they transmit the fillers in HDTV, they won't make the move.

In fact, they have not even made the move to 16:9, to digital audio or to other much less expensive techniques that would improve viewer experience but would not increase income.

I expect, when we are getting HDTV we are getting it from the national TV channels.

15. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,311
    I work in Post-Production. The amount of Hi-Def programmes being produced is growing by the day. The sheer volume of work already done means there is an extensive back catalogue of material for broadcast. Having seen Hi-Def extensively through work I can say hand on heart that it is the future, whether we choose to get on board now or in two/three years time it is here to stay. Companies I have work with are already looking to upgrade their DVD authoring departments to re-master and re-scan movies into HD encodes (more recent movies were mastered in HD and downscaled anyway) and there will be a big scramble to get contracts out of all the big studios and production houses. With regards to Sky bringing HD to the masses I agree that football is the key to getting joe public to buy it. Sky will however have to subsidise the cost of the Set-Top box/subscription if they want any sort of sucessful launch.

16. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    hidef will be mainstream in 2-3 yrs. The young male football fans will get sky hd and the same group will buy ps3 with blu ray compatibilty or xbox2 with whatever hd format it'll be using.

But more importantly will be the push by the electronics giants. DVDs were a victim of their own success, they're a massive leap from vhs. But everyones got one, dvd players are now dirt cheap (even the cheapest vhs players never got this cheap) and dvd's have also gone down in price. now the big corporations are preparing the next big thing to replace our dvd collection. Anyway thats what i reckon

17. motr

motr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am quite sure you are right. After all, football matches are Skys highest viewing ratings week in week out.

The most recent viewing figures show that 1.4 million people watched Newcastle V Chelsea in the FA Cup on sky and not one film was in that top ten IIRC.

Compare the top Sky viewing figures to terristrial tv though, and it's plain to see they are a long, long way behind still, as you'd expect.

18. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can't see it myself, we are still trying to get to grips with the analogue to digital switchover, which will take the best part of 5 years in my opinion.