Interesting AV Amp audition.

Was fairly set on buying a Denon AVR-X2300 today but was told that they are on the warm sounding side, so also had a listen to an Onkyo TXNR676e and a Yamaha RXV681, and got rather a surprise, all where just through a set of stereo monitor audio floor standers as a reasonable match for my Ruarks, and all where set to pure direct with USB mp3 as a source...the result was that the Denon sounded very flat and un-revealing, almost recessed, the Yamaha was way better, but a little too forward with mid range and voices, and best of all was the Onkyo which had a well balanced and dynamic sound,
So now have this at home and just finished sorting all the accumulated snakes nest of wires behind the TV that i haven't touched for two years, so a little late to do any testing now, but hopefully tomorrow will see it all setup...just keeping my fingers crossed that it all sounds as good as in the shop...but you never know.

Have to ask but why are you testing an AV amp with a MP3 file? If the intention is to use it for music youre much better off with a stereo amp. If youre using it as a surround amp then why not test with a surround sound film and set up?

Well that was an eye opener, spent most of today setting up everything and testing to see what the Onkyo was capable of, and was frankly disappointing, especially considering the price point, music lacks the dynamics that i am used to with my four year old Sony, and to be perfectly honest the Sony does a better job with some (not all) of the Atmos films and demos i have, in fact on one of the Atmos demos the Sony knocks spots off the Onkyo, and the Sony is not Atmos!
Also with my UHD bluray player plugged into the Onkyo the UHD/HDR picture is very noticeably dark, and in some scenes impossible to watch, so with this and the lack luster sound it may well go back in favor of the Sony 1080, or i may even cut my losses and just get a refund and stick with the 1040.

Just out of interest has anyone owned a Sony STR-DN 1040 and migrated to the later models? and are they similar or an improvement or the reverse?

Have to ask but why are you testing an AV amp with a MP3 file? If the intention is to use it for music youre much better off with a stereo amp. If youre using it as a surround amp then why not test with a surround sound film and set up?

Because RS are lazy when it comes to setting up cinema testing, and i intend to use it for both!

Well the Onkyo TXNR676e is definitely going back, pointless buying a new AV receiver that dulls down HDR and adds halo effects, so there is definitely something odd in the HDR side of the video pass through, whether its a fault or the build/software/hardware i don't know, On switching back to my Sony i also realised just how recessed and unexciting the sound was on the Onkyo, so now have to decide whether to go to the STR-DN1080 or something else, or just forget atmos etc.

Off to return the Onkyo, and have decided to order the Sony STR-DN1080, will have to wait until later this week for delivery, but will do a brief write up in the owners thread when i have had a chance to listen to it.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Not sure which Ruarks you have, but my Sceptres need a good solid analogue amp to sing. Any of the class D/H high efficiency digital amps just don't really do it for me, losing warmth and involvement.

My older HK AVI100 sounded better than my current Sony, with the low end suffering in particular. I would be interested to hear what you end up with, as I will be upgrading soon.

Not sure which Ruarks you have, but my Sceptres need a good solid analogue amp to sing. Any of the class D/H high efficiency digital amps just don't really do it for me, losing warmth and involvement.

My older HK AVI100 sounded better than my current Sony, with the low end suffering in particular. I would be interested to hear what you end up with, as I will be upgrading soon.
Mine are Ruark Talisman 2, i have put off ordering the Sony amp, as i want to do a little more research, if i cant find anything that offers an improvement i may well stick with the STR-DN1040 as it suits the Ruarks really well IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom