1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interesting article

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by G a f f e r, Jul 17, 2004.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I wouldn't put it past either of them. Nintendo has to either go the way of the sega or team up with MS. MS dominates US/UK (well, can do anyway), Ninty dominates Japan, an area Xbox hasn't managed to quite crack.
    Both of them could take the fight to Sony (who have a chip called the "grid", jointly developed by IBM/Sony/Toshiba, with the PS3 Graphics coming from nVidia i think).
    Of the two consoles, as most games will be cross platform, the only choice would be what looked better under the telly.

Mouthwatering to think we might have a console that offers the best of both worlds, ultra realistic adult orietated games as well as those zany Manga ones from ninty.......Oh yeah.....and Rebel Strike series on Xbox hardware ...AAAAhhhhhhhhhh :p

Full article here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/17/nintendo_signs_ibm_for_nextgen/

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW, if any of that is true then im quite shocked.
    although what would be the point in the 2 going into business and producing two machines when it would make alot more business sense to invest in an all round console instead?
    ive seen some of the specs floating around the web for the PS3 and itll probably take nintendo and MS to pull something from their butts to be powerful enough, but with MS there shouldnt be any cause for concern.
    as for the adult themed games with manga graphics, yeah count me in for that!
    :)

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Yes, very interesting! I personally think that the console manufacturers are heading towards a standardised main hardware (i.e. play the same games just like all PC's are compatable) with maybe just different looking boxes and platform specific features (i.e. certain pads, video outputs, input ports such as usb & firewire, box design, whether hard drive or flash storage is built in or needs to be added separately).

It makes sense really as all current consoles chuck out virtually the same games and it's the software houses that really decide what games we get. It seems daft to have to own 3 different boxes to enable us to play all the games available, especially as the console specific games probably amount to around 10% of the total games released!

The PC is firmly set up as a solid gaming platform and the PC will provide the technical competition for the console companies. After all the console technology is generally all based around PC technology anyway - look at the current most powerful console, the X-Box. This was based around a 700 mhz P3 and a modified GeForce 4 card with some additional custom hardware.

It would be good if you could buy the console that you like the look of and has the features you are after (much like we buy a DVD player now) and then be able to go into a game shop and buy any current Console game (no matter who makes it!)

The success of each type of console would then come down to brand, build quality, good marketing, the aesthetics and the design features of the console. As all 3 major players would be developing the same technology together the research & Development costs of the new technology would be around 1/3 or the current costs and this should then reflect in the price of the consoles. I would guess that the major cost for a console manufacturer (i.e. Sony, Ninty or M$) would be in research and development. Production costs are probably very low.

4. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    It would make sense if there was a general system with a chip from ibm, gpu from ati, dvd rom from panasonic etc. Once made, gets shipped to Ninty/MS factory, who make their own individual GC2 or XB2 cases and peripherals.

With regard to the games: the publishers just neeed to concentrate on one version, then place a code like the region coding at the beginning that states what console it can be used on. As the profit margins will be dictated by the software, if either compnay makes £xx on the software and someone developes a "console region hack" allowing games from ninty to be played on MS platform (and vice versa) it will only benefit those companies, as more people will buy their software (they'll have a wider audience)

Also, it is interesting to note that MS is altering the current controller s for the next gen. They'll get rid of the two black/white buttons and include:
    *rumble features
    *shoulder pads
    *trigger buttons
    ...........................sound like a modified ninty one anyone?

Finally, if it is true, i think they'll opt for a top loader drive rather than a tray drive because:
    *the open toppers are much cheaper to manufacture
    *less to go wrong, I've heard of plenty of trays that jam but no top loaders that do
    **the cost will be the deciding factor as MS reportedly loses $100 per unit sold and ninty also loses on each console sold as everyone sells them for 2/3 the cost of the others. So both manufacturers want to reduce manufacturing costs to a minimum and this seems the perfect way to do it.

(after all, in F1 minardi/jaguar/jordan all have the same engines even though they're seperate teams and actually rivals).

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Indeed, i'm not sure there's much point in "console" coding the games though. People will buy their favoured make of console and then buy the games they like.

I guess you could get the situation where the available games for a specific console would drive hardware sales (just like today) if there was console coding, but if you could open up your games to a wider audience (i.e. Ninty made games being available for all makes of this generic console). As the most money is made from game sales, this seems like a good thing.

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,435
    nintendo is the longest lasting console family but i think that they should go the way of sega and just do the games, but, carry on with the handhelds. I am not dissing the gamecube as i own one along with all their other consoles and the xbox ps2 etc.....

It is very hard to decide where they can go from here, some people may say out with the old (nintendo) and in with the new (xbox), (ps2). I do think the psp may give the gameboy series a bit of a challange but with the verying games from xbox and ps2 to nintendo related it could be a good idea to keep nintendo in the hardware cos after about 18 years in the console industry surley nintendo know what there doing.

EDIT:I think the main problem with nintendos console is that they released it too late with the xbox and ps2 being out for quite a while taking the market with all there games before nintendo having a chance. Take this advice nintendo and all consoles if you want an equal chance get all your new consoles released at the same time frame you'll all be equal then hopefully

tris

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well looking at their new DS, maybe they should start thinking about giving them up aswell, i really think that is the biggest pile of cack ever to roll out of the workshop.
    just a gimmick, give me a straight GBA anyday over that thing. as for nintendo giving up consoles, they just need to keep hold of some decent software houses for a little longer than they have been doing, as when the gamecube came out it was scheduled for alot of BIG games but some of them started to peel off and just be exclusives for xbox and PS2.
    i think the gamecubes going very much the way of the dreamcast, which can only be a pretty good thing.

8. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,435
    agreed very true....

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Regarding the games peeling off to exclusivity with other consoles....the major reason isn't the hardware but the physical size of the disc. Rather than create games over 2 discs and have to include a viable "swap disc here" function, most software houses couldn't be bothered (can't blame 'em really) and so released onto Xbox and Ps2.
    With a combined MS/Ninty console using the same DVD dual layer discs, this won't be a problem any more.
    The reason for keeping exclusivity for eg, Resi evil/rogue squad on ninty, halo/pgr series on xbox, is that they would guarantee their consoles sales over the other party's.
    The articles "console merger" idea would benefit both companies, and avoid the need for ninty to leave the market...

10. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Nintendo won't throw in the towel and "do a Sega", or go in with Microsoft for the main reason that they are too stubborn to do it. As long as their consoles continue to make a profit (and they do), they will continue to make their consoles. They have continually declared that "the day we stop making consoles is the day we leave the business completely".

The DS may yet be a major success (backwards compatability with the GBA is a big plus), and as it looks like it will be released this year, it may steal a considerable march on the PSP.

I think it's a very unwise person who tries to second-guess Nintendo, as they have repeatedly shown that they are totally prepared to do things their own way.

The Revolution will (I'm almost certain) be very different from the "PS3" and the X-Box Next, and I for one look forward to hearing more with great interest.

11. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The problem is that if they keep doing things their own way:
    *cartridges just to be awkward
    *very small dvd's that are non standard (wrt other consoles) and don't hold as much data
    *alienate customers and shops (who then refuse to sell them) by not promoting their own console
    *have their console retailed at 1/2 price the others (so percieved lower quality)
    *not do anything when more and more software houses desert the platform completely and release no games (driv3r, burnout 3, GTA etc etc)
    *release about 1 game per month as opposed to 2-3 for the others
    ....etc etc
    they'll end up having no customers and HAVE to do a Sega.

Comments from them like "the day we stop making consoles....etc" is more to do with keeping up share prices then actual policy (I'm sure Sega said the same thing too :D )

I think it would be great if they co-operated with MS to save their skin (which they probably can't do on their own now)

yep, you're right there, if Ninty have their way, it will probably be solar powered, with the games issued on banana skins "just to be different" :thumbsup:
    I used to have a cube and am unimpressed with nintendo's isolationist company policy full stop.

12. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well if they didnt do that then they would certainly go out of the business for sure! thats the only way they can make the DS sell at all. could you imagine the millions of people worldwide giving up their GBA's and cashing in on the fact they could have 2 screens, as long as they give up all their old nintendo kit and games to buy the lot again?
    the GBA and indeed the old GB are still the most popular handhelds available, and if nintendo ever walked away from that format, then that would be the end of them. theyve already lost the console war in my eyes. i for one was well up for the N64 after the snes, but it just didnt deliver compared to the playstation, and the gamecube hasnt with the ps2 and xbox. so why are people going to give them another chance?
    i wont be doing that in the future

13. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,435

14. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another thing that nintendo need to do next generation is lose the god awful kiddie graphics/games. or maybe keep the graphics and go the way of manga cop killing game series, hell yeah!
    gimme blood and guts over muchrooms anyday
    :)

15. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,435

That would be rather nice for our age group, but ninty are the dogs banana's for kiddies games. I dont think any other console makes kiddies cutsie graphical games better, and I own all the consoles so im not favouring any of them unless they need it. As I have said before somwhere all 3 major consoles and equal advantages and weakness'es and thekiddie games on the GC are one of it's advantages.

tris

16. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    :rtfm: :D

If this article is true, all sorts of games will be available for both next gen consoles, both adult and kiddie orientated (that's the reason it's an interesting article) :smashin:

17. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    define kiddie game please, never played a game by Nintendo that was 'Kiddie".

18. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll define it for you:

"Games that people choose to call names because they don't appreciate the unique art style or its deep, involving gameplay"

"Any game that doesn't involve killing people resulting in pools of blood, with loads of violence and swearing"

Take your pick from those two :D

Unsurprisingly, the Xbox and PS2 both have far more "kiddie" games than the GC does. But people have very short term memories when it comes to discussing "kiddie" games! :nono:

19. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hehe, can I choose both? never knew streetfighter was a kiddie game ;) :laugh:

20. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Street Fighter is 2D. That's like the end of level boss when it comes to "kiddie" games :D

It goes:

2D
    Cel Shaded
    Cartoon
    Anything else

21. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    anyway, IBM are gonna be busy this year aren't they? the also make chips for apple.

22. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so mario,luigi,pikmin and pokemon are all adult games then?
    im sorry but ive got to disagree, the most grown up game ive played on the gamecube recently has been metroid.
    your trying to say that nintendo dont make games primarily for kids?
    theyve been doing that for years. im sure the amount of decent adult games out weigh the kids games ten fold on the nintendo systems, yeah they do have other decent adult themed games, but me being an adult and wanting different things from my games, i just dont think that nintendo can offer this with their approach recently.
    it was alot different in the past when the snes was around, theres no way i would have called that system a kiddie console

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Nintendo make fantastic games that transend age, IMO. I guess it's similar to Films like Toy Story or Finding Nemo or books like Harry Potter. Whilst they are I guess primarily aimed at a young audience, they are so brilliant that they are also enjoyed greatly by adults.

Mario
    Zelda
    Metroid
    Mega Man
    Donky/Diddy Kong
    F Zero
    Pimkin
    Pokemon
    Star Fox

RE: The SNES - basically the same seies of games (with some additions) are still being released on the GC - I don't see that the line up of games has really altered that much TBH.

A game is a way to escape the reality of life and Nintendo often help up escape better than most. There is a lot of violence, war and generally depressing stuff that goes on in the world and whilst i'm not against some of this being depicted in games, it is also refreshing to play Nintendo's more abstract style of games. I guess it's being able to apreciate the abstract nature of these games that allows people to enjoy them. The best way to think of it is to look at a board game like Snakes & Ladders or Trivial Pursuit. There's no blood & guts in these games (unless you get a bad loser :D )yet they can be fun and enjoyable games. Nintendo games are similar in that they are just games - not every game needs to depict realistic scenes and characters. Ninty release some fantastic, original and playable games and instead of knocking them it would be good if more people just played them. :thumbsup:

24. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im knocking them, but when i first got a console it was a gamecube, and for ages i was waiting for games to be released on it that were coming out for the other 2 systems that were more to my taste i suppose, its put a bad taste in my mouth for nintendo now i think.
    but ive still bought another cube now the price has come down, and now theres a bit more of a selection for the games i wanted before.

and like you say, nintendo do make great games, but i just dont think theyre grown up enough. for young gamers that dont need to be shown blood,war and guts, then its a decent system.

25. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    There is no doubt that different consoles are aimed at different demographics, with the Gamecube at the younger end and Xbox at the older end. The use of primary colours and simplistic controls in alot of Nintendo made games do not make them inferior, but they are definitely aimed at a younger audience. The game designers are clever by making the games so expansive while including great story telling that adults find them attractive too, and so widening the audience (Shrek and Toy Story do this too).

The 'kiddie' label is often used in the wrong context to imply an inferior product, when it is obviously not the case. Some (people that are wrong ;) ) argue all games are 'kiddie', as no matter how many lapdancers or shotguns they contain, as they are all about escapism and imagination, not real life. Its all about people having to label everything, because they don't understand it if they can't pigeon-hole it.

I happen to be toward the older end of the market, so I find the Xbox generally provides the entertainment I want, but I do have a Gamecube too for those experiences that haven't been done on an Xbox.

26. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    the games nintendo make are aimed at everyone with possibly the exception of pokemon (which I still enjoy) its just the japanese style, they arent affraid to do it the way they want and have no problems being "cool" (whatever that is)

27. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Could you sit next to me while I was playing either Super Mario Sunshine or Windwaker and, with a straight face, tell me its not aimed at a younger audience (5-16)?

I'm not saying its either a) a bad thing or b) not to be enjoyed by adults, just that the primary audience is younger for these games.

28. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    maybe in the western world you'd have thought that but that wouldnt be the case in japan.

29. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Ok, unfortunately, I've not been to Japan (yet - can't wait to go one day), so I have of course been thinking in a conventional western manner. But good on the Japanese for thinking so freely...

30. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I was 20 when I played both of those games and enjoyed them both immensely. So, no, I don't think they're aimed at younger audiences.

What they do though, is not try and neglect younger audiences through including superficial violence and "mature" content that, ironically, makes the games pathetic, shallow and very immature. If Western developers can't get the game concept right, they just throw in violence and controversial ideas and hope that sells the game (just look at Narc for the perfect example of this!)