1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested in speculation on SKY HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Scapegoat, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Looking forward to getting HD from Sky (whether straight away - or a little later depending on cost).

At present I have a CRT connected to Sky+. I am in the process of ordering 2 new LCD TVs for installation via the RF2 outlet from Sky (have a quote to install the second outlet in 2 rooms with eye-link).

The TVs I have ordered at both HD compatable, though with Sky+ at present they will just get a standard RF feed.

The following questions are of interest to me, now and in the future, and I wondered what people had heard/or would guess to be the answers:

1) Will Sky HD require new cabling from the dish to the box, or with exisiting Sky+ cable work?

2) Will Sky HD have the option to have a second output to another room in HD? Or as with the RGB at present, only the primary device can do this?

3) As I have yet to find a HD large screen set (37+) I am happy to buy at present, I can see the possibility of having a HD ready and non HD ready display unit connected to the Sky HD box at the start. Any ideas what would happen to the display on the non-HD ready set if it was tuned to the HD channel (I often have the TV on in two rooms e.g. football, if I am working round the house).

I do not ideally want to wire the Sky system round the house for the current setup to then have to change it once HD comes in. But at the same time if I have HD ready TVs in other rooms I would like Sky HD to be able to send a HD ready picture to them.

Any thoughts?

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Nobody knows the answers, yet!!

3. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The current dish will be suitable - although if you want Sky+ in a second room you'll a quad feed LNB (4 feeds!) and extra wiring. My original Sky dish only has 2 wires for one Sky dish (I feed Sky to the kitchen using boring RF).

I believe that you can run a second Sky box from the set-up but this would only be standard definition rather than HD.

H

4. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I doubt if I'll be an early adopter, but a HDMI pass through would be useful bearing in mind the cost of HDMI switching boxes :|
    Dave.

5. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It will give you one output for hd signals and one for normal.

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good shielded coaxial cable such as CT100 will work with HD in the same way as it does with SD. For Sky HD you will need 2 runs of cable, and with multi room (Sky+ or HD) you will need a total of four runs :eek: