1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interest in Plasma vs LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TarMoo, Jul 30, 2005.

1. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    On average, there seems to be more people viewing the LCD TV Section of this forum than the Plasma TV Section. It used to be the other way around a year ago.

Does this indicate that LCD has now overtaken Plasma as the flat screen TV technology of choice?

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'd say so. I don't have much experience from before 2004, but apparently the old LCD TVs were pretty nasty to look at. LCD sizes are getting bigger, too.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Maybe, then again it may be that there's been more happening on the LCD side of things, so there's more to talk about or understand the differences of.
    Equally, with the price of LCD compared to Plasma, more people feel the LCD Tv is within reach, Plasmas are not.
    I believe Plasma is heading to its drop-off in popularity in 5 years time, LCD is on an upward trend. Other display technologies will appear in 3-5 years times, to take over from both Plasma and LCD.

Just to clarify, Plasmas will likely still be made in 5 years time, but the number of people buying them will be less than now, and eclipsed by the numbers buying LCD TVs. After that, it'll depend on how each manufacturer sees the market, and whether Plasma is their only display medium, as to whether they continue with Plasma R&D, or start to ramp down production and move on to another medium or concentrate on LCD, if they make LCD TVs.

4. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I agree with the above. I had plasma now I have LCD and it is far better. More detail and contrast, and black levels are excellent.

5. M@tt_UK

M@tt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find my Plasma deals with Sky far better than my LCD, yes the LCD is sharper maybe, but that shows up poor signals, atm I would not think about a large screen LCD (Plasma 42" LCD 26")

That's just me :) and I'm not going to make a fuss about it. :D

6. nasht

nasht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i just do hope when sky uses hd signals that will improve

7. M@tt_UK

M@tt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that when Sky goes HD for main stream TV it will be a very interesting time.

My LCD is superb with HDTV from a PC.