Interest in hire of colorfacts

Buns,

I would be interested to a point, say £100 for a 1 - 2 week hire etc.

Assuming it was fairly straightforward to use.

As for inclusion of laptop etc, I think it would need to be a two part package ie pack 1 - all in deal laptop, calibration instructions / everything you need to do the job and a second pack 2 assuming hardware to run the calibration is available at the customers house.

I know from your posts you are well versed in the Z2 (my projector also), but how would you cover instructions to find / edit A N Others projector's setting etc.

I have though of getting the likes of Gordon Frazer in to do an ISF (if he would work with a Z2), but I musty admit I can be a bit of a fastidious git when it comes to picture / audio detail. I like what my eyes / ears like and not what the magazines / so called many experts out there think I should like. Though many people have spoken very highly of Gordons work, so I'm not sure which route I will go.

Also I've just I've had my eyes laser’d and waiting for them to settle down before doing and further calibrating etc.

Regards,

Chris L

Thanks Chris,

That was the sort of price i was thinking of, assuming insurance wouldnt be horrendous, i thought £100 for a fortnight.

Use is straightforward, install the software, plug in the usb devices, put calibration disc into your dvd player and away you go.

As far as specifics go, giving machine specific device, as you say, is not going to be easy, this is simply something I couldnt do, i doubt many people in the world could do so. Milori themselves dont hire the package with anything more than generic instructions.

I would be assuming that anyone wanting to hire would have a reasonable knowledge of their displays. However, assuming either the user control are comprehensive or a service manual is available, anyone with a bit of time should be able to work it out.

thanks again

Ad

and this wouldnt be considered as replacement to what an ISF tech could do. If you know your display, then you could probably get close. If you want things right with minimal effort, then the likes of Gordon is best.

However, if you want a cheaper alternative that will help you understand the display better as well as giving you the chance to play with any and all displays you have, this sort fo thing would be your choice.

all the best

ad

You can't hire it out without the laptop as the unit is tied to the laptop. Also I think you'll find that the software licence forbids hiring. I think PaulB had a thread about this idea a while back.

As ad has said there is more to calibration than just this. Having a set of spanners does not make you a mechanic.

Gordon

Gordon,

the most recent version uses a hardware dongle for licencing, so it can be used on multiple pcs, but only one at a time. You could be right about the hiring is being forbidden, I will have to check that out.

ad

The last I heard was that Milori weren't bothered about it being hired out by owners although they would only give support to the original purchaser and not to anyone renting from an owner.

There's a thread here about it here; http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&perpage=20&highlight=colorfacts&pagenumber=1

Milori were more concerned at piracy of the software than owners renting them out. After all, thats effectively what Colorfacts was designed for, renting out - if you hire an ISF guy to calibrate your pj, you are hiring his Colorfacts as well. Hiring it out as Buns proposes has never been seen as a problem (obviously I can't speak for Milori but I've not seen anything at AVS Forums to indicate that that their stance of "hire it out if you want" has changed especially as its expected that it will be hired out in one way or another).

Having used Colorfacts I can testify to it being an absolute breeze to use, from green faces to perfection in less than a couple of hours from opening the box! Ah, bliss! However, I would caution that you must know exactly how to change the colour settings in your pj (this may mean delving deep into menus and service menus) and also you must know exactly what these changes mean, be warned - you can easily screw up everything big time and if you can't reset the pj to its original state then you will be up a creek without the proverbial paddle. Also, the pj is only one step in the video chain, you can't really calibrate one piece of equipment without calibrating the other (although I only ever calibrated the pj and was delighted with the results but then I'm lazy!)

For folks that have a reasonable idea of what they are doing its an excellent oppurtunity to make use of a tool that normally costs a small fortune for a price thats peanuts and which will transform their viewing pleasure (providing your pj needs calibrating of course!), but for folks that don't know their bias from their gains, forget it, save yourself the heartache and hire Gordon instead!

Paul

Edit - PS, yep, I'd be up for hiring it at £100.

Thanks PaulB, that was the impression I was under. Im going to look into insurance situation (even though only 2 seem interested yet!) and see where it goes...... obviously if i was going to get charged an insurance premium of £1k a year this wouldnt work!

ad

No probs Ad, might be a couple of months before I'd need though - I'm changing tubes and dealing with burnt out modules at the moment :mad: PJ's are a right pain at times but at least I know I'll get the colour right once its back up and running :clap:
Paul

thats ok Paul, im not looking for actual offers of hire, just want to know if we are talking about 3 people or 30 who might be interested..... obviously the former wouldnt be much of a basis to do this properly!

ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom