1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interconners question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mr. Flibble, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I've just bought a home cinema system for about £900 (http://www.hifi4less.com/TEAC_Legacy_700_5_1_Home_Cinema_System.htm).
    I'm pretty new to all this cabeling malarky and am wondering if it really makes sense to spend a whole lot on very expensive interconnects.
    I'm far from an audiophile, would I be able to hear any difference between an interconnect costing £25 and one costing £225?

Also, would it be very unwise to connect up the subwoofer using a QED Qunex Two cable over say, a Supra as shown here: http://hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_catalogue_Subwoofer_Interconnects_32.html ?

Please bear the quality of the system when replying.
    Thanks in advance for any help:)

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    On a system of that price level,the most sensible thing to do,unless you're going to upgrade a lot in the future,is to buy a reasonably priced set of interconnects(i.e.not much more than 10% of the value of the system)....ranges from QED etc should be more than adequate at that level.
    As for subwoofer cables,and speaking as one of the more cable oriented people here,I can honestly only see dedicated sub cables as a marketing ploy,since any decent interconnect will do the job just as well.

3. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input. I feel safer being a bit stingy with them now:)

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Many people exagerrate the differences between some interconnects. If your going to go for a good one, look around for a second hand QED Silver Spiral, should cost no more than £50.

Generally, I struggle to hear any difference between many interconnects of varying prices.