1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interconnects, which one?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zone, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Its that age old question Co-ax or Optical!

Just interested why people chose what they did, was it for cost reasons, specific connection reasons, have you encountered any unusual problems, and finally.......

Just which one is THE BEST?

Cheers

Si:p

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Digital electrical co-axial is the best connection for digital audio. You will need a decent 75ohm lead such as the Ixos 105, whcih has especially good WBT twist-lock plugs.

It retails for £25 and is the best place to start, if you are looking at something better try a lead from The Chord Cable Co.

Good luck!

3. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no question Co-axial is better but down to your self what sounds better to your ears, my self got cable talk co-axial 1m about £100 4 years ago ouch ...:eek:

4. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to sound like an idiot, because this is the first time I've ever gone to optical vs co-axial thread, simply because every time I see one, I can't see the point as they're both digital.

I mean, whether its at 24 kHz or 96 kHz, 100010010 on a co-ax is still 100010010 on an optical.

But I suppose that point has already been made time and time again, on other threads just like this one, and if it were really the case people would have stopped starting these threads ages ago. Nonetheless, I'm interested to know why I'm wrong.

5. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Nickane

Thats pretty much the reason I started this thread as I too dont understand what differences there could possibly be as both, as you rightly say are digital, I presume some of the regulars here have compared both in side by side tests, and its their findings/opinions I'm interested in.

cheers

Si

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here I go again...:devil:

The cientists used to laugh at the audiphiles because they "heard" differences between digital cables, until they tested again...

They found out that electrons bounce from the "walls" of the cables causing jitter wich will cause distortion in the DACS... They also found out that a good coaxial will do it less then the optical cables...

They also found out that heavy processing (DD and DTS), will some how correct this, but not for PCM (CDs), so if you listen to CDs you will want a good coaxial cable...

Merry Christmas... :D

7. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, concise explanation Lowrider.

That's quite an amusing image - Scientists laughing at Audiophiles; they both have a bit of geek factor attached to them don't they :clown: