1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interconnects upgrade vs speaker cable upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bascombe, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

recently got my first homecinema kit together, and am greatly enjoying it. My setup is a yam5540 connected with the speaker cable supplied to Wharfedale Moviestar 60+ speaker package (not the best speaker package in the world, even for budget probably, but was a good price, I liked the looks, and they are indeed well built). Dvd comes from a Hollywood + decoder card in a pc, connected to amp via a belkin coaxial cable (originally supplied in a kit for sending a composite vid signal). Amp is connected to the tv via some bog standard freebie interconnects.

My question is, there seems to be alot of potential for upgrading cables, but given the speakers and amp I'm using, and the fact that I dont have limitless funds for upgrading (alas......) what (if anything) will get the best results? Will a better coax cable and better interconnect to the tv yield benefits even sticking with the cable that came with the speakers? Or would it be better to upgrade the speaker cable first? And is it worth upgrading speaker cable for what are budget (but still pretty decent) speakers?

I'd be really grateful for any advice!

Cheers

Bascombe

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Forget the speaker cable in your case. You would probably see an improvement by getting a better interconnect between player and amp.

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Ugrading cables will benefit any system. Russ Andrews is a company that sells all sorts of cables and accessories to make systems sound better. They do free brochures explaining the benefits. I'd recommend going to their web site, ordering the booklets and giving them a read. They give a 30day money back guarantee. So you could try some new cables out and return them if you can't tell the difference. If the prices scare you don't buy from them just read their free info.

They recommend starting at the wall and working all the way through the system to the speakers. So the first upgrade you should do is to the power cables for dvd player, then amp. Then Interconnects and then speaker cables.

Me personnally, I would go for improving the weakest link. If the speaker cable is bell wire replace that.

Oh yea, they do say massive gains can be had from upgrading cables in cheaper systems. I think their demo at shows is usually a transistor radio with the power cord replaced.

Regards,

Jus

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    To offer a contrary opinion: IMO it is rarely the case that spending money on better cables will produce more of an improvement to the sound than spending the same amount of money on better equipment.

I'd say speaker cable is probably the last thing to consider, unless (as discussed elsewhere) the resistance of the cable is more than a few percent of the minimum impedance of the speaker. If it is then you need thicker wires.

Video cables can make a bit of a difference. And good quality shielding on analogue line-level interconnects is important (preferably done in a way that doesn't introduce too much stray capacitance).

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    And make bank balances look far worse. :(

6. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its fair point-but the setup was the best I could afford at the time, and I'm looking to get the best from it I can. So we've got differences of opinion on the 2 to1 shot - speaker cable should go, or speaker cable isnt worth changing....hhhhmmmm. At the end of the day, is everything a potential target, and it just depends on funds?

Bas

7. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using your PC to actually play the DVD's then maybe you should consider putting the money towards the dedicated DVD player. I've generally found them to be significantly better than PC's for DVD playback. Unless you're watching them on your PC screen as well of course. Otherwise save your money.

IMHO high end cables like what Russ Andrews sells are only really beneficial to high end systems. True they may yield improvements on cheaper systems, but given how much Russ' stuff costs, you'd get better sound spending that money on a better system.

8. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The russ andrews stuff is definitely out of my league, particularly with my current set up. Watching via pc is a consequence of buying a decoder card back when standalones were considerably pricier, and in all honesty I quite like the versatility of it, and can definitely live with the playback quality for the mo. If the coaxial cable from the decoder card gets upgraded, then it'll just be to something basic like the profigold pgd48x cables. I'm sure they are better cables than the belkin I'm using, its just a question of whether I'd hear the benefits.

hmmmmm....and hmmmmmm again I say :)

Cheers

Bas