1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interconnects, Interconnects . . .

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Finty, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok! I've got my KEF eggs (at last!), my Marantz 4100 OSE sits waiting by my telly and my Denon 3802 will be arriving next week . . . (I can't wait!). Now . . . I've gotten a great offer from a HiFi dealer in Dublin regarding interconnects. Thing is, I need to order by the end of this week (19th) before the offer ends - and I need to know what interconnects I need to hook up up all the bits and pieces lying around my living room!

So. What do I need to connect the Denon to my DVD, Video and Sky box?

My TV is a 2yr old Sony with s-video and 2xScart (one presumably RGB)
    Video is a standard Mitsubishi vcr (scart + phono)
    Sky box is, well, a sky box!

Also, what's the best way to set up the KEFs? Do I need a mono lead for the sub? Should I run all sats from the amp? What about running the 2 rears from the sub?

I know it's a lot, but I'd really appreciate some quick advice. Thanks for helping out a newbie who's been saving for ages for this system!

Cheers

Finty:)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Speakers

One phono to phono to cable from amp to sub and wire the five satellites directly to the amp.

I am suprised that a two year old Sony only has one scart and have deleted the rest of my answer whilst I think again but it would be useful to know if the one scart socket will accept an RGB signal.

3. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Ian

I don't know what I wrote 1x Scart for. The original post has now been corrected! Of course my tv has 2x Scart and 1x s-video. I'm assuming that the AV1 input on the telly is RGB enabled.

Sorry for the confusion - my brain had been scrambled from too much computer work and not enough beer!

Cheers for the tip re the Sub

Al the best

Finty

4. steve4852

steve4852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finty,

Hope you don't mind me butting in and giving my view on things.
    As i use the Denon 3801 as my av amp , Which by the way is excellent.
    I use the following method of setup,

SKY -> DVD (using scart to DVD 2nd scart i/p (which is the passthrough scart)
    DVD -> TV (Scart AV1 (RGB))

(Note: This gives SKY and DVD an RGB picture to the TV. As the DVD is 1st to the TV , the sky picture will only be displayed on the TV , when the DVD is in standby. You must also set your DVD and sky to output RGB.)

SKY -> Amp (Phono cables)
    DVD -> Amp (Coaxial cable)

SKY -> VCR (scart)
    VCR -> Amp (scart to 3 phono (L/R/video))

Amp -> TV (Composite to scart)

You could change the VCR interconnects to utilise s-video by having a scart to s-video from the sky to amp , and having a s-video to scart from amp to tv. (this saves having the s-video cable going to the front of the sony tv , where the tv s-video connection is.)

Hope this is of help and doesn't confuse things.

Steve

5. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Steve

Detailed advice! I'll take home a printout and make sense of it all while in front of the hardware. Seems complicated at the moment!

Thanks for the help
    Finty