Interconnects, Interconnects . . .

F

Finty

Ok! I've got my KEF eggs (at last!), my Marantz 4100 OSE sits waiting by my telly and my Denon 3802 will be arriving next week . . . (I can't wait!). Now . . . I've gotten a great offer from a HiFi dealer in Dublin regarding interconnects. Thing is, I need to order by the end of this week (19th) before the offer ends - and I need to know what interconnects I need to hook up up all the bits and pieces lying around my living room!

So. What do I need to connect the Denon to my DVD, Video and Sky box?

My TV is a 2yr old Sony with s-video and 2xScart (one presumably RGB)
Video is a standard Mitsubishi vcr (scart + phono)
Sky box is, well, a sky box!

Also, what's the best way to set up the KEFs? Do I need a mono lead for the sub? Should I run all sats from the amp? What about running the 2 rears from the sub?

I know it's a lot, but I'd really appreciate some quick advice. Thanks for helping out a newbie who's been saving for ages for this system!

Cheers

Finty:)

Speakers

One phono to phono to cable from amp to sub and wire the five satellites directly to the amp.

My TV is a 2yr old Sony with s-video and 1x Scart

I am suprised that a two year old Sony only has one scart and have deleted the rest of my answer whilst I think again but it would be useful to know if the one scart socket will accept an RGB signal.

Sorry Ian

I don't know what I wrote 1x Scart for. The original post has now been corrected! Of course my tv has 2x Scart and 1x s-video. I'm assuming that the AV1 input on the telly is RGB enabled.

Sorry for the confusion - my brain had been scrambled from too much computer work and not enough beer!

Cheers for the tip re the Sub

Al the best

Finty

Finty,

Hope you don't mind me butting in and giving my view on things.
As i use the Denon 3801 as my av amp , Which by the way is excellent.
I use the following method of setup,

SKY -> DVD (using scart to DVD 2nd scart i/p (which is the passthrough scart)
DVD -> TV (Scart AV1 (RGB))

(Note: This gives SKY and DVD an RGB picture to the TV. As the DVD is 1st to the TV , the sky picture will only be displayed on the TV , when the DVD is in standby. You must also set your DVD and sky to output RGB.)

SKY -> Amp (Phono cables)
DVD -> Amp (Coaxial cable)

SKY -> VCR (scart)
VCR -> Amp (scart to 3 phono (L/R/video))

Amp -> TV (Composite to scart)

You could change the VCR interconnects to utilise s-video by having a scart to s-video from the sky to amp , and having a s-video to scart from amp to tv. (this saves having the s-video cable going to the front of the sony tv , where the tv s-video connection is.)

Hope this is of help and doesn't confuse things.

Steve

Cheers Steve

Detailed advice! I'll take home a printout and make sense of it all while in front of the hardware. Seems complicated at the moment!

Thanks for the help
Finty

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom