1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interconnects help required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by PGL, Mar 14, 2003.

1. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. Got the the opportunity to replace my Cambridge Audio interconnects (about £20 from RS), with one of the following:

Chord Sirens.
    Monster something or others (about £80), not sure 'til I get them off my mate.

Basically got 2 questions:

1. With the following kit, does anyone have any thoughts on which may be the better option. I will obviously be listening first but wondered if anyone had any experiences of these.

2. Should I connect from my CD digital out to Receiver digital in, which I assume will the utilise the DAC in the receiver? Or should I use the analogue outputs from CD to Receiver, using the DAC in the CD?

System as follows:
    Marantz CD52 CD Player
    Marantz SR4200 Receiver
    Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Speakers

Thanks in advance.:cool:

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Never listened to either of the cables you're looking to buy ... but make sure you listen with your own kit as you may find you don't notice **any** difference from the Cambridge Audio one.

Connecting the CD player to the Amp should probably be done with the analogue connections. Certainly with my SR5200 sound from CD was better with analogue connection from my NAD C521i than with the digital connection.

Vikki

3. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listened to both of them. Monster was a bit more bassy whilst the Chord was a bit more detailed as expected. However, I would say neither were much of an improvement on my Cambridge interconnects.

Just out of interest I took the ends off my Cambridges, got 3 types of cable from Maplins and threw something together yesterday.

Guess what? On MY system it's a big improvement in clarity, detail and soundstage already without any burn in. Little bit harsh at the top end but hopefully that should improve slightly as it burns in.

That particular cable cost me about £1.49 permetre, Chords cost over 50 quid (including connectors).

Can't wait to try my £3.49 cable next!!

Also looking into cables from The Missing Link who advertise on HiFi For Sale site. They seem very reasonable for their silver teflon cable.

Just goes to show, expensive isn't always the best. Even the most expensive cable could sound rubbish on your own particular system, as there are so many variables between one set up and another.

Give DIY a try, you may just strike Gold, Silver, Copper...........etc

:cool:

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Did you finish your tests?

What did you decide on using which cable?

5. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. Second (£3.49) cable better than the first. Tried it on my mates Linn/Spendor setup and we reckon it sounds similar to the Chord Siren!

Finally settled on the TNT audio UBYTE cable, which was really expensive to make - not (£13 including new connectors!). We were both really pleased with this and he said he'd have been happy spending at least a hundred quid on a cable of the same quality.

Now for the speaker cable......

:cool:

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    What was the cable you chose called (£3.49)?

I am going to make some up using Van Damme quad microphone cable and Shark phonos, meant to be very good stuff.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030327234325765&moduleno=13262&modulecode=
    &
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030327234325765&moduleno=30804&modulecode=

I made a 1.5m pair today using some nice gold phonos from Maplin and their cheap £1.29/m microphone cable. It should have been the VD equivilent but it seems not too much different though. (Mmm... nice and yellow!).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030327234325765&moduleno=1007&modulecode=
    &
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030327234325765&moduleno=133&modulecode=

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    So, to help me when going to Maplins, what were the cables ie model number etc.

Cheers

8. PGL

PGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think the £3.49 stuff was XX61R. It's quite thick so I used heatshrink on the ends to make sure it fit inside the phono plugs that I had. The Shark plugs are a little wider so you might want to use them AQ57M.

Hope this helps.

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Cheers for that