1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interconnections TV/VCR/DVDR/Sky digibox

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Outlane, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Outlane

Outlane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me for going over old ground but I am confused!
    For every 5 websites and manuals there seem to be 6 ways of interconnecting various equipments. On Monday, I take delivery of a new panasonic TX-32PD50 (4 scarts, component video, etc, etc) and a panasonic DVD recorder with hard disc.
    I need to connect these along with my existing Sony VCR and Panasonic Sky digibox so as to be able to simultaneously record broadcast channels from whatever source (terrestrial, Sky etc) to the DVDR whether viewing them or some other source. I also wish to be able to transfer well loved video tape recordings onto DVD.
    The various suggestions I've received (even from Panasonic) tend to be contradictory. Can anybody help? :lease:

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Outlane and welcome to the Forum. :)

So what makes you think you won't get contradictory advice here? :laugh:

Here's my suggestion but I'll bet others will feel differently.

First, forget the component video and stick to the scarts.

They're not ideal but the auto-switching will simplify operations.

Now, although the Panny has 4 scarts, I believe only two are RGB capable.

So use these for the Digibox and DVD, where you'll see the difference.

The VCR can go on one of the other scarts, leaving one spare.

Then connect the various players/recorders directly and away you go! :thumbsup:

(Now all you've got to do is master all the remotes! :laugh: )

3. Outlane

Outlane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tight Git (I'm sure you belie your name!)
    I guess that's just about what I'd worked out but wasn't sure about each equipment being able to "see" another. I think that only scarts 2 and 4 are Q link equipped but only 1 and 4 are RGB. Does this present a problem setting up?

4. extechieman

extechieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PD30 (connections same as PD50) and I have connected as follows.
    Digibox (Sony Freeview set to RGB out) to AV1.
    DVD Recorder (Pana E50 set to RGB out) to AV2.
    DVD player (Pana SCHT900 set to prog scan out) to AV4 component input.

Interconnectivity-wise; Digibox VCR output to DVDR AV in.
    Haven't bothered connecting DVD palyer to DVDR, but could easily be done using S-VHS connections.

It worked fine for me; hope this helps.

5. Outlane

Outlane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody, I think things are much clearer now :clap: . I wonder if the confusion which I and others experience is really a lack of rigorous thought about what we want the system to achieve. It wasn't until I read extechieman's contribution that I suddenly realised that my VCR is now almost redundant and will only be used for transferring videos to DVD. This is an entirely different problem from tuning it into the TV for the purpose of recording from various sources.
    Further to this, most instruction manuals (as far as I can see) only conceive of connecting TV and DVD as a system and rarely even mention an STB (or has that changed recently?). In any event, Thanks again and I think we may consider this thread closed unless you want to know how I get on when the kit arrives. :)

6. shooi

shooi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks Outlane, you've saved me a lot of typing! I'm new to this game as well and, having just taken delivery of a 32PD50 today, I was wondering how to plug it all together as well. Now I know (or at least, have a good place to start).
    Following on from the replies, however, I've an additional query.

Assuming I do want to make use of the progressive scan inputs (manually selecting the AV input before watching a DVD won't be too much of an inconvenience), will I be able to get any sound through the TV? I don't have an AV receiver currently, and probably won't for a while. If I connect the component video ports and the SCART for AV4 (I think that's the component input), is there a way to make the video use the component connections and the sound use the SCART? My DVD's a GX300 b.t.w

*Update*
    Forget that last query - it works fine (with a bit of input selection frigging). This TV rocks!!!! :clap:

7. Outlane

Outlane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing came out of this which surprised me (though perhaps it should not) is that thew advice from panasonic support was not very good. For instance the PD50 manual clearly states that a DVDR which is Q link compatible must be connected to AV4. The diagram sent to me by panny support was:
    STB > AV1 (TV)
    STB > VCR > DVDR > AV2 (TV)
    It probably would work but it presumably loses all the benefits of RGB and of Q link.
    As a novice, I'm probably wrong but what do you techies think?
    Anyway, The TV has arrived (though not yet the DVDR) and I've set it up:
    STB > AV1 (TV)
    STB > VCR > AV2 (TV) (which is correct for a VCR)
    I've looped the RF (terrestrial) through the STB and VCR to the TV though I can't see any reason why it can't be directly input into the TV (the STB is a Sky digibox).

8. shooi

shooi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly how I've set mine up (except I'm not bothering with the VCR)

STB (Sky) > AV1 (TV)
    STB > DVDR
    DVDR > AV4 (TV)

I think you only need to connect the RF to things that will be viewing/recording the RF signal. I only connected the RF up to the TV & Video so as not to confuse the auto setup routines (which scan for available channels). AV reception is terrible where I live - hence the Sky box.

I haven't tried the Q Link yet - the Sony GX300 supports some Q Link functions but I haven't checked what yet.

9. Outlane

Outlane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap:
    I found Q Link (Sony calls it "Smart-Link)a very easy short-cut in the auto-tuning of both TV and VCR.
    When my DVDR is delivered, it will replace the VCR in the chain and will use AV4.
    Then all I'll have to do is figure out a way of transferring videos to DVDs! :clap

10. shooi

shooi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping it was simply a matter of:
    VCR > DVDR
    <Play> on VCR, <Record> on DVDR.

But I guess you're going to tell me it's not that simple...

11. Outlane

Outlane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope it is :D
    The problem is that, without disturbing the DVDR set-up, there is not spare scart input for the VCR's composite video and audio to connect to. My Sony VCR has no separate phono video output and its not worth buying a scart splitter for this one-off operation.
    I think its possible to do it via the TV (but could well be wrong). There is a spare scart input (AV5) on the TV. (I don't think it is advisable to use AV2 as that would overide the DVDR input AV4). As yet I haven't thought much about it. I'll wait until it's delivered :)

12. shooi

shooi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0