Interconnect Suggestions....

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by deaf cat, Feb 11, 2005.

1. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'm looking for an interconnect to go from the pre outs to me power amp. have tried a few and wondered if anyone may be able to suggest any others?
    My ears have found:
    £90ish Silver spiral - lovely balance across range but bit bright
    £200ish Chord - nice and clear good range but does not captivate me
    £100ish D102 MKIII - love the bass fab clarity and tight, missing something up top
    Cambridge Audio £30 yellow one - nice voices

Running with the Cambridge Audio at the mo as good all rounder for the price but looking for that little bit more, any suggestions much appreciated,
    Any one tried Nordost?

Lood forward to any suggestions
    Cheers

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try sticking with Van Den Hul as If you push a little further into the range you should find the solution to the problem in the D102 MKIII (Which should be about £80)
    eg.
    Thunderline (£110)
    The Intergration (£150)
    The Second (£180)

3. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Cheers,
    Was thinking VDH may have been the way to go.
    Thanks for the info, will try them - now I know the names and where they lay in the range.
    Cheers again,

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  5. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There not many shops around are there, will probabley pop in to the Ashford shop when I go see a mate that way - cheers for the suggestion

6. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi deaf cat

I've PM'd you a link to someone who had a good price for some D102 mkIII, but only had one left last Tuesday, but you may be lucky. :smashin:

I'd also suggest the JPS Ultra Conductor cables from the audio salon

http://www.audiosalon.co.uk/portfolio/Jps-labs/jps-labsintercpr.html

the best cable I've heard for under £100, but need 50-60 hours usage before the're at their best.

Paul

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,541
    Have you tried the Mark Grant analogue interconnects from the power buy? At only £25 for a 1m pair they are excellent value and the performance is well above their cost.

Mark.

8. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Have you tried a Nordost Red Dawn? I have one in the classified sectionif interested.

9. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I originally has Silver Spiral but traded for DNM Reson with Eichmann (spelling????) Bullet Plugs

Very Good Analogue Cables indeed :thumbsup:

These can be found http://www.hificables.co.uk/

Hope this helps

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Why are you selling?

11. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    upgrading to Valhalla if I can raise the cash

12. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Wow - nice lot of suggestions this is good,

Paul the JPS Ultra Conductor - would you know how these compair to a VDH 102 for example ?

Mark the Mark Grant analogue - do you think these would be better than the Cambridge Audio and come somewhere close to the silver spiral ?

Bass007 do you know how the Nordost Red Dawn compair to say the VDH range ?

Mr Yakimoto, how does the DNM Reson sound compaired to the s spiral ?

I don't know if knowing what I am running may help.....
    I have an arcam avr200 amp which I love the sound of, with a rega power amp for the fronts that adds some kick. The sparkle from the arcam still shines through nicely.
    Just looking for that little extra something, that I think the pre to power cable should give.

Very much looking forward to hearing comments,
    Cheers
    Deaf Cat

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Have heard a complete Valhalla setup, on my own gear actually! Trouble is the overall cost was about £25000 for power, interconnects and speaker cable!
    Have to say I wasn't overly impressed by the speaker cable. Cat5 is it's equal.

14. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi deaf cat

Currently I have the following interconnects to compare; JPS Ultra (£89), IXOS Studio (£100), D102 (£80), my own build (£9.50), Belden/Canare (£35) and a few others. The JPS is streets ahead of the others and for that matter anything else I've heard up to twice the price. But, and its an important but, this just does the right things for me in my system. I'll be putting together a solid silver cable soon and see how that compares, if it betters the JPS, I'll go over to that, but otherwise it'll be the JPS for interconnects, the price of their speaker cables is to high for me as I need 7 metre runs of bi-wire.

In general you can't try every cable combination on the market, even the sale or returns offers are just too time consuming and you will still never know if there is a better option out there, because if you like what you hear you buy – would you send it back and say “yes, that’s good but send me something else to try, to see if its better”?

All I know is, that irrespective of source (phono stage, CD, Tuner) the cheapest JPS is better than the others and it’s the improvement across the whole spectrum (if I can use that in the context of sound) that makes it so special. For me, this is a cable, which shows you what a high-end cable may do to your system without buying a high-end cable! Of course high–end is a relative term, as some would consider it madness to spend even £20 on a bit of wire. This interconnect provides more detail and presence to the music and that’s the key statement “to the music” not the sound. Do not buy these (or cables like Nordorst) if you want to change or tune the tone of your system, these are not bright or dull cables; they just are expansive and neutral. You’ve got to like what you’ve got and just want more of it. In general I’ve found QED’s add to the top (some call this presence or sparkle) and VDH’s subtract a minimal amount of system top and are a good safe cable. But others will offer different perceptions, you pays your money and………

Paul.

PS. I wouldn't consider myself a cable expert in any shape or form, so in the end I like JPS cables better than the others I've tried :) and I've tried them in a few peoples very diverse systems and they just do the business - but they do sound awful until burnt in. They also use "... ultra-pure copper, ultra-pure aluminum alloys..." for the conductors not what is usually founds in most cables, so at least they have (like VDH) have not just rehashed old ideas and cable structures wrapped them in marketing hype.

15. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    Not sure where in the UK you could get 'em but I would suggest something along the lines of Prism 3300i or 5500i by Tara Labs.

www.taralabs.com

16. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Well deaf Cat, I use to use the VDH DD103Mk3. Nordost and VDH are different cables most people I know who love VDH hate Nordost. I use to love the VDH cables But since I heard the Red Dawn I sold them all. They have a different presentation if you looking for more excitment and sparkle the Red Dawns would be a good start, the red dawns would certanly give more kick. Othe alternatives I can suggest is the New AVID cable which has the naturalness of the VDH and the clarity and kick of the Red Dawns, Its what I use at the moment both spr and Int cables, problem is that it costs 700.00. Selling red dawns to Valhalla to use on DVD player and Trans 2 DAC as Digital Int.

17. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could also try the Townshend Isolda DCT cables - inky black noisefloor, uber bass, very smooth treble, great imaging

http://www.townshendaudio.com/

18. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hiya, :)

Cheers Paul for the explanations, sounds like you have been doing a good few sound tests. Where did you get hold of your JPS cable, as it sounds like I should be giving them a test here at home, and the only dealer I seem to come across is in Glasgow...... I'm in London.

I think the Prism cables may prove even more tricky to get hold of, thanks for the thought though.

I think its time to get this lot printed :clap: and start finding some dealers for the townshend etc, I know one place near the A10 that should lend us a couple of the VDH's and a visit to Enfield should sort the Red Dawn. £700 :eek: just a smidge over me budget even if it is perfect - at this point in time anyway.

Its all good.

19. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi deaf cat

Yes I got mine from the Audio Salon - there is no dealer network for these, but I think AS are at least being very fair with the prices. If you go to JPSdirect.com (yes for a change they do direct sales as well) you'll see the ultra's at $99 & $124 for 0.5 and 1mtr lengths. AS charges £69 & £89 which seems pretty good for a change. Give them a call and ask if they'll supply on approval, you loose nothing by asking.

Paul

20. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Sorry to put more in the pot, but I have been very happy with Kimber silver streak Retails at about £280, but can often be found 2nd hand on hifi for sale at approx £100. That's where I got it and to my ears it has the precision of the Nordost Red Dawn without the tizzy top end. But then, having tried loads of Nordost, the digital interconnect (silver shadow) is the only one I have kept. I like the detail but find the attck a bit artificial (ie too hi-fi not enough music).

21. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yep - sometimes you think life is much simpler for the naim owner - just get what they tell you and have done with it. Must be a bit of a shock to the diehards that they're now fitting phono's to the amps.

Paul

22. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    :smashin:
    Sorry I didnt reply earlier :suicide: The DNMs sound cleaner and not as boomy. If you are looking to spend around £80 per .75metre, then these are a must. Plus of course they are fitted with the Bullet Plug. :thumbsup:

If you were going to use your CD player just as Transport then the Chord Signature Digital is an excellent cable.

Have a read up on the DNM Reson with Bullets though, I am sure you will not be dissapointed......apart from how they look. They look very cheap indeed but plug em in.... :D

http://www.eichmanncables.com/bullet_plug/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~rabruil/bullet.html
    http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2370/v/e25b6a5d-53c3-4ba2-911a-fec47a20a505

23. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Cheers again everyone, thanks for all the suggestions, nice lot of options, time to get busy!
    Cheers

24. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
  25. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Never thought of making my own really, but I'm going to have a read of the link this week and hopefully learn a bit, and see if diy cable making is a possibility.
    Ta